When the NHS works, it's a wonder

Thank you NHS!

I had a cold for a few weeks and was avoiding the doctor because who goes to a doctor for just a cold? But this weekend it spiked into a dangerous fever and put me a bit out of my head.

With help from family I called 111, they sent us urgently to the Walk In centre. The Walk In centre saw us within an hour and had a sheet all printed up for the pharmacies open late that specific day so I could start my meds right away.

That pharmacy not only filled the prescription, but took the time to clarify some instructions that had confused us.

The next day my GP made room for a follow-up visit, confirmed what the locum the night before had said, and sent me for chest x-rays at Royal Hallam where I was seen instantly there by very professional staff.

Think of all those components, from 111, to walk-in, to GP, to hospital, plus the non-NHS chemist, all working together like clockwork.

The fever was gone within 8 hours and I'm getting better every day, even managed a couple of hours of work today.

Thank you everyone who had to work over the Christmas week. You were kind and reassuring even when I wasn't making much sense. I know the system isn't perfect, and I've had problems myself. But when the system works, it is amazing. I think the people who work there take it on the chin a lot these days, but I hope you know there are a lot of us who really appreciate what you do.

Well said Dozer.

Thank you everyone who had to work over the Christmas week. You were kind and reassuring even when I wasn't making much sense. I know the system isn't perfect, and I've had problems myself. But when the system works, it is amazing. I think the people who work there take it on the chin a lot these days, but I hope you know there are a lot of us who really appreciate what you do.

My wife has recently had fantastic attention from her GP and the the local hospital.

This from a hospital which has been in "special measures".

They all deserve medals and I might say at least half were non white coloured or whatever the PC term is these days.

The NHS is still, for all the moans and groans something to be proud of.

Edited by davyboy

I agree, three cheers for our amazing NHS staff. Heroes each and every one.

When people blast the NHS for it all going wrong in winter I never can figure out why.

The NHS works fine as noted above. It's clueless people who attend casualty unnecessarily that clog the whole system up and cause problems.

Hope you are in fine shape for NY celebrations tomorrow Dozer.

What a lovely thread. Can I add my thanks to all the people who had to work over Christmas. You all did a grand job. Much appreciated.

Also worth noting that dozer did the sensible thing too. People in a less worse condition can and will clog up A&E. Glad you didn't and hope you feel better.

When people blast the NHS for it all going wrong in winter I never can figure out why.

The NHS works fine as noted above. It's clueless people who attend casualty unnecessarily that clog the whole system up and cause problems.

Hope you are in fine shape for NY celebrations tomorrow Dozer.

They end up in A&E often because the GP service is inadequate. Some GP surgeries are truly superb and maintaining a great service but others are not up to scratch.

The surgery I'm registered with is in utter disarray.

They end up in A&E often because the GP service is inadequate. Some GP surgeries are truly superb and maintaining a great service but others are not up to scratch.

The problems arose when Labour changed the GPs contracts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10099044/The-graph-that-shows-Labour-is-to-blame-for-the-pressures-on-AandE.html

I hear what other people have to go through to get to see a GP and then the appalling service they get when they finally see one and I thank my lucky stars for my surgery.

I started a new thread to keep my cynicism separate from your thread, but it appears to have been deleted.

So here we are.

Why should the NHS be singled out for wonder and awe over Christmas? So many people in all walks of life have been working over xmas. The petrol station attendant who served me. He was just doing his chosen job. He knew it was a 24/7 job when he took it on as do NHS staff. They are just doing their job.

---------- Post added 30-12-2015 at 23:15 ----------

Oh and don't forget to thank the private sector and especially the higher rate taxpayers who fund the NHS and the staff who work in it.

I started a new thread to keep my cynicism separate from your thread, but it appears to have been deleted.

So here we are.

Why should the NHS be singled out for wonder and awe over Christmas? So many people in all walks of life have been working over xmas. The petrol station attendant who served me. He was just doing his chosen job. He knew it was a 24/7 job when he took it on as do NHS staff. They are just doing their job.

I don't think that there are similar amounts of stress levels when you compare the two examples.