'Sorry not in service' buses

I agree with the comments about current timetables made in this thread.

Its all very well advertising high frequency services but when you are waiting 20-30 minutes for a bus which is due every 10 minutes then it just shows that timetables do not match up to reality.

I often catch the 50 and 50A services into Sheffield from Halfway simply for reliability and a reduced journey time into Sheffield. These provide a combined half-hourly service and although breakdowns and lateness must be taken into consideration there is no bunching-up and missing buses.

Maybe it would be better if the regularly delayed routes within Sheffield have the routes simplified instead of serving lots of city centre stops and getting stuck with so many buses doing the same thing? The section from West Street to Haymarket via Leopold Street, Pinstone Street, Arundel Gate springs to mind here.

Really? So all the people on here complaining about buses not showing up are telling lies?

When you have 3 buses running together what you actually have is one bus and buses missing elsewhere, and you think that is acceptable?

Dont forget, if a bus is late, the driver runs a risk of going over his driving hours then the bus will be pulled in order to cover his enforced rest period.

Better to adjust a bus to get it on time and miss 20 minutes service than to let him come off late and lose an hours service.

I trust you as a knowledgeable chap about buses. So perhaps you could explain to this poor chap why there are so many problems on this bus route.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1442824

You're all wrong.

"Sorry not in service" is a small village near Sheffield, just near "Duplicate".

I think, if my memory serves me correctly, there was one called "GARAGE".

It's obviously people buying old buses so they can drive to work in the bus lanes and beat the rush hour traffic.

Guest busdriver1
I trust you as a knowledgeable chap about buses. So perhaps you could explain to this poor chap why there are so many problems on this bus route.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1442824

Not familiar with Sheffield routes so cant comment accurately.

Can anyone at First explain where all these buses are going , often see as many as a dozen on some days .

Strangely not seen one for over a week .

Not familiar with Sheffield routes so cant comment accurately.
Apparently it's because the double deckers were cramming up the roads and causing congestion, so they replaced them with single deckers, and reduced the numbers. Don't quote me on this, just heard it from someone else.

Apparently it's because the double deckers were cramming up the roads and causing congestion, so they replaced them with single deckers, and reduced the numbers. Don't quote me on this, just heard it from someone else.

How does a height-of-vehicle reduction cause an area-of-road congestion reduction?

Careful, Mr.Shaw - you're asking an intelligent question on Sheffield Forums - that is not allowed, because it derails all the stupid comments.:)

How does a height-of-vehicle reduction cause an area-of-road congestion reduction?
I don't know! I can assure you I'm fully aware of the absence of logic. Also, trying to solve a congestion issue by reducing capacity doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent either.

Andy C is your man for bus info, he seems to know the score.

Passenger ratio is the answer to this question. A typical single deck bus can carry around 60 passengers, whilst a double deck can carry 72, therefore the double decker takes longer to fill than a single deck. If you have two single decker buses running together, one would get full and the other would be running with a minimum amount of passengers 12+, therefore it makes more ethical logic to run a bus with a higher carrying capacity, rather than running two, that causes more cost to the company (higher bus fares are then considered to pay for the extra bus) and it causes higher congestion because you are running two buses at 38ft long rather than one at 38ft long.

@ Pip Morgan - that makes sense, but (1) First seem to have a single deck purchase policy.

(2) Outside of peak hours on most routes, I'm guessing a single-decker is sufficient, and maybe slightly cheaper to run (better fuel consumption).

It is obviously a juggling act for the operator, and not one with any set answer.