'Sorry not in service' buses

But whats the worse moan? Moaning you have two or three buses together or not having a bus at all and it disappear. I prefer two or three buses together to be honest.

you might but other people might not experience the missing buses, they might always turn up at a bus stop when more than one turns up. end of the day the bus companies can only do so much, i know the company i work for only do it on services with a 10 minute frequency where possible. i have had to do it once on a 30 minute service when i was 20 or so minutes down but there wasn't much else they could do as i was close to my driving hours

My kids say they are going to "sorry not in service land"

I often wish i could visit that land as it would be so peaceful.

On some of the routes, the buses are tendered, which means that the council pays x amount of money to the bus companies to have the buses running on schedule and to maintain a fluent service throughout. If the tendered services become at fault, the bus company can get a hefty fine or at least no payment for that particular run. The bus services that are 'sorry not in service' are sent to a different time point, because the driver maybe coming off the bus to exchange for the next driver. The driver may be 'out of hours' driving, which means that the driver can no longer continue on the bus, otherwise he/she will be out of regulated driving hours, this is against the law and both bus company and driver will face hefty significant fines. The driver may even receive points on their license for this.

It is all very confusing, but makes sense. I understand peoples frustration and have also been in a situation where that annoying 'sorry not in service' bus has driven past me and thought, why?

You're all wrong.

"Sorry not in service" is a small village near Sheffield, just near "Duplicate".

I don't know if anyone else has seen this displayed recently but within the past 10 days or so I saw a First bus displaying 'Bus returning to depot'.

Regarding buses displaying 'Sorry not in service' but carrying passengers, I often see Stagecoach 120 buses displaying this through Halfway on weekday evenings. I can only assume that once the bus is empty of passengers the driver has ended their shift and the bus will return to Holbrook depot.

Sh2006.

Guest busdriver1
But whats the worse moan? Moaning you have two or three buses together or not having a bus at all and it disappear. I prefer two or three buses together to be honest.

When you have 2 or 3 buses together, somebody elsewhere on the route has none. That is what is being solved by running a bus out of service to a point where it should be and people are waiting for it.

When you have 2 or 3 buses together, somebody elsewhere on the route has none. That is what is being solved by running a bus out of service to a point where it should be and people are waiting for it.

But people dont want buses running out of service they would rather wait for a bus and it turn up than not at all.

So they drive the entire route without passengers to achieve what?

You actually quoted the text "Instead of running the route ..." but clearly didn't register it.

Clearly they don't run the route empty (unless it's the quickest way to get back on schedule).

As to what they achieve, they get back on to the schedule they should be on. I think this neatly highlights the unrealistic nature of the current timetables.

Guest busdriver1
But people dont want buses running out of service they would rather wait for a bus and it turn up than not at all.

Really? So all the people on here complaining about buses not showing up are telling lies?

When you have 3 buses running together what you actually have is one bus and buses missing elsewhere, and you think that is acceptable?

Dont forget, if a bus is late, the driver runs a risk of going over his driving hours then the bus will be pulled in order to cover his enforced rest period.

Better to adjust a bus to get it on time and miss 20 minutes service than to let him come off late and lose an hours service.

The timetables are only bitter evidence that these November changes were made by unqualified people using fantasy to make a bus network, not in touch with reality.

When a bus is running late and almost back to back with the one behind it, racing it ahead out of service will only work if it uses real shortcuts, not the standard route.