What is the most productive way to complain?

I have been assaulted tonight by a young man in the sharrow area of sheffield this evening. I was walking my dog and was shoved of the pavement by a young male, who was accompanied by 3 friends.

i dialled 101 as soon as i got home, only to be met with a very obnoxious reply that if i was ok , what did i expect the police to do.

Naturally i am not very happy. I should be able to walk along the streets in peace. I just feel that the attitude of the local police service fell below what i thought i could expect.

p.s. If you had a window on your car smashed on Wostenholme rd, sheffield s7/s11. it was the same gang.

Positive replys to how i can complain to the police would be appreciated.

Did you get any photos, do you have any evidence to back up your claim? This really helps.

Do you have a community policeman?

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/compliment-complaint

By letter or form

or via your MP or councilor or solicitor if feeling flush- the idea being they will be taken more seriously.

Or via the IPCC website, but it gets sent to the police.

You could also draw it to the attention of the PCC, but they dont do individual crimes, so I think it would be your comment on level of service and attitude.

If its thorough and well written then you have a better chance of it being taken seriously.

Well worth following up, as there seems to be a pattern of anti-social behaviour - which should be recorded.

I hope the call-handler did record your report.

Granma.

Did you get any photos, do you have any evidence to back up your claim? This really helps.

Do you have a community policeman?

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/compliment-complaint

By letter or form

or via your MP or councilor or solicitor if feeling flush- the idea being they will be taken more seriously.

Or via the IPCC website, but it gets sent to the police.

You could also draw it to the attention of the PCC, but they dont do individual crimes, so I think it would be your comment on level of service and attitude.

If its thorough and well written then you have a better chance of it being taken seriously.

... and pretty much sums up how **** modern society is when the simple wish to walk the dog has become something that requires technology.

Phone back and say you want to report two crimes - the one to you and one to the vehicle and insist on crime numbers which you can then quote in your complaint

I have been assaulted tonight by a young man in the sharrow area of sheffield this evening. I was walking my dog and was shoved of the pavement by a young male, who was accompanied by 3 friends.

i dialled 101 as soon as i got home, only to be met with a very obnoxious reply that if i was ok , what did i expect the police to do.

Naturally i am not very happy. I should be able to walk along the streets in peace. I just feel that the attitude of the local police service fell below what i thought i could expect.

p.s. If you had a window on your car smashed on Wostenholme rd, sheffield s7/s11. it was the same gang.

Positive replys to how i can complain to the police would be appreciated.

You could write a polite letter to the cheif constable pointing out that although you don't expect any investigation, you would expect a record made of the event so his force can target resources more effectively in future.

... and pretty much sums up how **** modern society is when the simple wish to walk the dog has become something that requires technology.

Too true. It's the casual attitude to it all, from the people pushing someone minding their own business to the "what do you want me to do about it" attitude when you ring someone. It's a sad state of affairs.

---------- Post added 29-12-2015 at 21:46 ----------

You could write a polite letter to the cheif constable pointing out that although you don't expect any investigation, you would expect a record made of the event so his force can target resources more effectively in future.

Doesn't South Yorkshire have a police commissioner whose ear the public can bend over such matters?

Your own assault aside, you imply that you know who broke the car window, in which case you are a witness to a crime.

How about getting the reg. number and reporting that as well. Assuming you did witness who did it, then presumably you will be able to provide descriptions, to both that and your own issue.

I'm sure the local community constable would be interested even if the 101 call handler was having a bad day.

Good luck

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/reportcrime (there's an on-line option as well, so everything will be documented)

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/compliment-complaint#What%20if%20my%20concern

Complaints about central services such as call handling, road policing and crime recording should be directed to the Chief Superintendent in charge of our Operational Support Services Department at the following address:

The Operations Complex

Europa Link

Sheffield

S9 1XX

I hope you are not too upset to follow this up.

Granma.

Too true. It's the casual attitude to it all, from the people pushing someone minding their own business to the "what do you want me to do about it" attitude when you ring someone. It's a sad state of affairs.

---------- Post added 29-12-2015 at 21:46 ----------

Doesn't South Yorkshire have a police commissioner whose ear the public can bend over such matters?

hiya find out the police commissioners address and say what would have happened if your problem had been in his district, many years ago where I lived a car had been left abandond when I made a complaint I was told to put it in writing, then I did just that and put a P.S AT THE BOTTOM with the mame of the police chief's name at the bottom, in two days it was gone

dont even bother tell your mp to do something, you will be suprised how quickly you will hear from the police and you wont even have to contact them, they will conract you.

I find it digusting that we cant even walk on our streets without being pushed around , and then to call the police and they really don't care , I wonder what would have happened if it had been the call handlers Mum, Dad, or any other family member, they would probably have send 4/5 squad cars..its disgusting it really is, I hope you do complain please post on here there response..good luck as I personally don't think you will get anywhere.