Bullmastiff support

Hi. I am in the process of purchasing a bull mastiff puppy. I am wanting some advice on how to look after them as I have only been used to looking after such dogs as Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and for any other advice you could possibly provide please. Many thanks.

Bullmastiffs are not for the faint hearted or indeed for begginers, they by their very nature are stubborn and bullish, I recommend that you go to puppy classes and later dog training classes to help you learn to handle your dog, they also need raised feeding and drinking bowls as they grow because it can cause tummy cramps and bloat if they eat from the floor. Be prepared for lots of slobber and I mean lots, one of my mastiffs even managed to get it on the ceiling! They are very big dogs and give very big cuddles, they are very loyal and very protective which is why socialization is extremely important from an early age both with dogs and humans as their nature, their hard wiring so to speak is guard dog. Give them plenty of things to chew but make sure that they are tough enough to withstand a mastiff's jaws, one on my mastiffs was given a chew toy which was supposed to be for mastiffs and bull dogs, it wasn't, poor Blue had to have surgery to have it removed from her stomach, I recommend nilabones and kongs. Have fun with your new puppy and keep asking questions on here if you have any problems

My sister has a bull mastiff, and so does her son. I'm sure she wouldn't mind you messaging her. Her user name on here is antibird

Thanks buddy. I will message her now. Thanks again :)

My bull mastiff is the softest dog ever, yes we get slobber but only when she has a drink & when we are eating. She came from a litter of 10 & they are all of the same nature, they love to be close to you & are pretty lazy. We've never been to any training classes & she has never chewed anything other than her toys, she was very easy to train & she's an absolute angel very well behaved & gets on with all other dogs too

They are very stubborn and give great dirty looks but also very lazy they dont need walking too far and dont walk your puppy very far as it can cause damage as they grow!

They are basically big slobbery lap dogs and love their cuddles also watch very carefully what toys you give him and food etc they are very good at swallowing things whole!