Peter Swan - any stories about him?

I recall seeing Peter Swan play for Bury against Brentford at Griffin Park in 73/74.It was his only season back in football after his ban was lifted,and he was in his late thirties by then.

Is it true, Owls fans,that he never scored for Wednesday?

Swanny worked for Fletchers Bakery after he got the boot so to speak, he was the only bloke with a tan around Wadsley Bridge at that time, I used to see him regularly walking to work when I worked at the brewery up the road from the bakery. It's hard to believe someone could get a life sentence for what he and his mates did when murderers only get a couple of years these days, ONYA SWANEE, how we loved ya, how we loved ya.

That is correct, 0 goals! What is opinion is that he played in the best side I have ever seen representing Sheffield Wednesday - forget the 90's!

The team of 1960 finished runners-up to Tottenham in 61 (in the top league)when they did the 'Double' - a rare feat then - and I can assure younger readers that that Spurs side was outstanding and is still legendary with people of my 40's generation.

Before anyone jumps down my throat about my earlier comments about Swanee being the only one with a tan, he had just come back from somewhere that had plenty of sunshine. He stood out like a sore thumb & looked so healthy.

I once remember seeing him score a goal. He just seemed to kick the ball and it just went straight in the net. Pure brilliance.

To clarify, Swanny never scored a goal for Wednesday - but then found the net on his debut for Bury!

I once remember seeing him kick the ball. He just seemed to touch it and it moved. Pure brilliance.

Did'nt Peter have a brother who ran a BB on the coast?

I digress - he was a great player and certainly one of the best players that ever wore a Wednesday shirt. If not for the game fixing - would he have made the 1966 England squad?

I recall seeing Peter Swan play for Bury against Brentford at Griffin Park in 73/74.It was his only season back in football after his ban was lifted,and he was in his late thirties by then.

Swanny made his comeback for Wednesday in 72/73 aged about 35 - around the same time as Willie Henderson was in the team if my memory is still sound. I think Bronco Layne was also back on the books as well but never made the first team.

I'm sure but for the ban he'd have been a world cup winner in '66.

Swanny made his comeback for Wednesday in 72/73 aged about 35 - around the same time as Willie Henderson was in the team if my memory is still sound. I think Bronco Layne was also back on the books as well but never made the first team.

Sorry Longcol,I forgot about him going back to Wednesday first.

It is surprising though that such a great centre-half did not score a few from corners and free kicks.

Swan did make his comeback in the 1972/3 season when he made 13 appearances plus two more as substitute. He wore the number 4 shirt that season as the oh-so-stiff Holsgrove had the 5 jersey.

Generally, across the board, the team would be: Grummitt, Rodrigues, Clements or Mullen, Swan, Holsgrove, Craig, Henderson, Eustace, Joicey, Sunley and Sissons. Prendergast, Coyle, Potts and Prophett were other players on the staff that season. Hurry up Big Jack!

Swan did make his comeback in the 1972/3 season when he made 13 appearances plus two more as substitute. He wore the number 4 shirt that season as the oh-so-stiff Holsgrove had the 5 jersey.

Generally, across the board, the team would be: Grummitt, Rodrigues, Clements or Mullen, Swan, Holsgrove, Craig, Henderson, Eustace, Joicey, Sunley and Sissons. Prendergast, Coyle, Potts and Prophett were other players on the staff that season. Hurry up Big Jack!

His return came in a 3-0 win against Fulham, it was the first time that I had seen him play and he remained immaculate. He set up Wednesdays first of three goals that day, with Prendergast being the scorer, if memory serves me well. I shall always be grateful to Derek Dooley for having given my generation a brief glimpse of a legend and would have loved to have seen Bronco also make a first team appearance.