Peter Swan - any stories about him?

I bear the same name and was born next to the Wednesday Ground. I know Pete Swan well. The coincidences in our lives have been unreal and the mix ups hilarious. Although a few years older than me, we had the same stature and looks, not kidding. We were even mixed up in Bahrain where I lived when an all stars team arrived to play against the Bahrain team. Ron Springett and Jack Mansell (who was my neighbour) were the only ones who knew in Bahrain and used me to spring many traps. Until I moved south in 2004, I still received phone calls enquiring for him. I lived on Shenstone Rd. alongside the Macanearneys, Eddie Quigley, Ron Staniforth and several others during my formative years, until I joined the navy. I could write a book on the hilarious stories concerning Swanny/Swanny.

hello peter love to talk with you ex k5 and sheffield tried to e mail via ganges w ebb site returns as unknown tel 023 92826147 e mail rhodesia@talktalk.net kind regards Dave barraclough

My aunt Amy and uncle Archie lived next door to him on Middlewood Road. They spoke fondly of him.

think it was in 1958 that West Ham being top of the first division came to Owlerton and went away having had 7 goals scored against them. Swan was a class act but so were most of the Wednesday players, a pleasure to watch.

Anyone remember the season Spurs, Wednesday and United were vying for a place in the first division. Spurs won promotion and they were playing Wednesday at Owlerton on the last day and they drew 0-0 but a Spurs international forrard kicked over the bar from 6 yards out. I always thought that match had been fixed and Wednesday was promoted by .008 of a goal. I think it was around 1947 anybody remember that.

When I was around the age of 12 Peter Swan's brother and his Mother lived in the two houses next door. I remember Peter coming to visit them and wow was he a good looking bloke, he must have been in his 20's at the time. I was in fact in love with his brother Michael who was another good looking boy. Peter was an extremely nice person liked by all who knew him. So sad what happened to him, today he would have received a slap on the hand.....oh, and a week's pay would have been docked! Hope all of your family are well Peter, Len, Shirley and of course Mick.

You should ask Gary Megson about any stories about Swanny.The Megsons lived next door to the Swans on Butler Rd. Stannington in the 60s,I'm sure he'll be obliging.

I new Peter and his wife when I lived in that area a lovely family so sad that he made a mistake and had to spend the rest of his life regretting it.

Since that time many footballers have been found out up to all sorts of tricks and have got away with a smack on the wrist. How many managers have picked up brown paper envelopes from some motorway service station and every one has turned a blind eye.

Edited by dafodil
grammer

Does anyone have any Springett stories, especially about the oranges that were thrown from the Kop? I'm writing a story about Sheffield in the 60's and would love to include a few football anecdotes.

Does anyone have any Springett stories, especially about the oranges that were thrown from the Kop? I'm writing a story about Sheffield in the 60's and would love to include a few football anecdotes.

'Oranges'?, 'Kop'? The Hillsbrough one, or the Anfield (a neighbourhood of the former west Lancashire city of Liverpool) ? and would that be the brothers Ron or Peter Springett, both born in Fulham, London ? I think I've even baffled myself now ! .... but Oranges ???

'Oranges'?, 'Kop'? The Hillsbrough one, or the Anfield (a neighbourhood of the former west Lancashire city of Liverpool) ? and would that be the brothers Ron or Peter Springett, both born in Fulham, London ? I think I've even baffled myself now ! .... but Oranges ???

Bit pedantic that, mate. Pretty obvious to what she was referring.

I used to go in the 60s and it was a regular thing for people to throw oranges to Ron. No idea why though. It was just the odd one not a deluge of them.

It happened wherever we played. I used to stand on Leppings Lane end and can remember it but it happened at away matches too.

Hey... If its totally confusing for you... then guess how I feel. I think it was Ron, but you know it could have been Pete. I think back then the hill at Hillsborough was called the KOP. I keep finding references to loads of oranges being thrown ... and I'm thinking they couldn't have been cheap then... or were they? But why? I don't know if it happened to any other players... does anyone have a clue?

Someone threw a single orange towards Ron once.He picked it up,nodded in acknowledgement,and put it in his cap to take away.The next match,and for a few afterwards,large quantities of various fruits came tumbling down the terraces.He collected them all,and stuffed them in his cap to keep him in vitamin C for the next fortnight.

When the maximum wage came off,Eric Taylor devised a bonus scheme for the players based on the size of the crowd.During a quiet spell in a game,Ron turned to look at the fans,when someone shouted "What are you doing Ron,counting them?"

When he was manager at Matlock in 1974, he asked for potential players to come for a trial one evening and about 200 turned up. Impossible to get a look in even if you were any good!