Parson Cross Park

I went to school with a kid called Eddie Craven who I think lived in the steel houses more or less straight across from the bottom of Lindsey Road ,he had a double thumb nail one hand ,I remember him having one removed when he was about 12 yrs old ,

ok bri, the more i think about it, your name as started ringing bells. you are a little older than me, (70 ) but i do recall these names, ken skoley ect, but shocked to hear Brian had died. he had quite a physique and was a well known bodybuilder. i think he married a very nice girl called maureen colton, and that they lived near the high greave pub on barnsley rd. he started me on my own quite successful career in weightlifting. going back to Lindsay youth club, a few of us got motorbikes and after the club would go to Jowseys chip shop at the top of lindsay shops and sit inside with chips & a coke. what wonderful memories. I now live in Filey N Yorks, which is lovely, but will always recall those days around Lindsay & the corn field with affection / BOB

----------------------------------

The Jowseys retired to the seaside, east coast, so I was told. The Lindsay

Ave shops area is sad sight now. Gone are the bustling days of the 1950s & the coop on a Saturday morning. All the shops were always busy, and everyone very friendly.

Why did we used to call Parson Cross Park Black Hill Park?

Edited by Guest

Has anyone any idea why we used to call Parson Cross park Black Hill Park?

Hello jan,I was born next to it when half was a tip and the adlington side was a cornfield.I played there and saw it transformed into the park,I remember the firm that did it,en tout cas .We never called it blackhill park though and can't recall anyone I know doing so,maybe you were from the Holgate side?

I lived on Wordswoth, Born in 65 an all the kids i played with called it Black hill.

I lived on Wordswoth, Born in 65 an all the kids i played with called it Black hill.

Maybe because from your position the side next to the cornfield was pit waste and was dark coloured.We always called the Holgate side of the brook blackhill.Restart this post and you will get loads of replies,Hillsbro is the man for local history and geography,the forums expert.

Edited by lottiecass
addition

...Hillsbro is the man for local history and geography...
Oh dear.... :blush:. I looked this up in my "archives" as soon as I saw the thread but drew a blank. But the presence of pit waste does seem a likely explanation. Here is a comparison of old and new maps.

I was born and raised in Deerlands ave. Three houses up from Holgate Cres almost opposite the park. We always called it blackhill. According to the older adults, the hill up to Deerlands Ave was built by prisoner of war personnel.

We the youngs ones were always told it got named blackhill because it was built with pitch and tarmac that made the hill black.

When I was young around 6, 7 or 8 yrs old the field now Parson Cross was a massive cornfield. We used to have to great fun when the fields were cut. I never heard the park called blackhill park.

I was born and raised in Deerlands ave. Three houses up from Holgate Cres almost opposite the park. We always called it blackhill. According to the older adults, the hill up to Deerlands Ave was built by prisoner of war personnel.

We the youngs ones were always told it got named blackhill because it was built with pitch and tarmac that made the hill black.

When I was young around 6, 7 or 8 yrs old the field now Parson Cross was a massive cornfield. We used to have to great fun when the fields were cut. I never heard the park called blackhill park.

I was thinking of who was/is local to the area,you were the obvious choice.Thanks for your imput Hillsbro,always appreciated.

Oh dear.... :blush:. I looked this up in my "archives" as soon as I saw the thread but drew a blank. But the presence of pit waste does seem a likely explanation. Here is a comparison of old and new maps.

The map on the right is wrong.I can't see Southey Hill. :huh:

The map on the right is wrong.I can't see Southey Hill. :huh:

No its not,if you go to maps site and look for Southey hill,it will be further to the right,hillsbro put it on to show parson cross park.

No its not,if you go to maps site and look for Southey hill,it will be further to the right,hillsbro put it on to show parson cross park.

Nope its wrong. Crowder, Northlands and North hill all lead to Southey Hill

NOT Wordsworth Crescent.