Parson Cross Park

lived in Deerlands Ave from being born in1946 to getting married in 1966. When I was young the area now known as Parson Cross park was a cornfield.

My friends and I used to love it when the hay had been cut. We used to have lots of fun. Then it was changed into a park. 

Can anyone remember when the field was changed to a park?. I'm sure it was still a cornfield when I attended Lindsay Road school. From nursery to leaving in 1957, to go to Southey Green school

Edited by blackhill

Most of px park was a tip, the Adlington rd side was a cornfield. The tip was my playground when I was young, I preferred it to the new park. I can remember the massive earth movers and en tout cas bulldozers levelling the two hills of earth one buchanan side, the other Lindsay side.I was sick when my den was knocked down.

I think it must have been about 1958,      I remember going to play on the swings.      We used to shout things at the "Parkie" to make him chase us,  then run off out of the bottom gate.         The playground was good,   there were all sorts of things in it,   & when the park first opened there was even a café in it.         Haven't been back on Deerlands for at least thirty years.

4 hours ago, blackhill said:

lived in Deerlands Ave from being born in1946 to getting married in 1966. When I was young the area now known as Parson Cross park was a cornfield.

My friends and I used to love it when the hay had been cut. We used to have lots of fun. Then it was changed into a park. 

Can anyone remember when the field was changed to a park?. I'm sure it was still a cornfield when I attended Lindsay Road school. From nursery to leaving in 1957, to go to Southey Green school

I think it was still a cornfield in 1976 or at the very least not built upon.

I went to the newly opened Chancer school in 1958 and one of the things I remember were as we were having lessons there would be little red mites crawling over our exercise  books, not just a few but loads.

We use to have fun squashing them with our rulers, our headmaster explained to all the pupils that as a newly built property on farm land we had to expect these sort of things.

Hi Purple. Definitely wasn't a cornfield in 1976. I 'm almost sure it was a cornfield up to about me leaving Lindsay Road School in 1957.

A friend asked me why we used to call Parson cross park Black hill park.  I was sure i read on here once that it was because it was ontop of old slag heaps. Looked all over but not been able to find anything. But then others are saying it was because of the road being one of the first to be tarmac.  anyone know where i can find information please.

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, jan2665 said:

A friend asked me why we used to call Parson cross park Black hill park.  I was sure i read on here once that it was because it was ontop of old slag heaps. Looked all over but not been able to find anything. But then others are saying it was because of the road being one of the first to be tarmac.  anyone know where i can find information please.

Plenty of information on Wikipedia, no mention of Black Hill though.

Interesting thread for you Jan 2665.

Thank's Padders,  this must be what i remember as i asked the same question. 

In 1948, i used to go to the Youth Club in the school, the field was very handy for some teenage fumbling.