Lecky gone off in s5 shirecliffe

only for a second or so but enough to have to reload my internet etc...anyone else experience this ??

Same last night just after midnight and twice after that up here in Stannington.

If your alarm bell box sounds after a power cut then it's a sign the back up battery in the panel needs replacing. The reason it sounds is because all power has been cut to the external bell box, a healthy battery would prevent this.

Not necessarily. Most modern alarms will activate if the mains is lost when the system is set. It's in case the mains has been deliberately cut off to the system by an intruder. But yes they will also sound if the alarm is unset and there's no battery back up in the control panel.

Edited by Colin Foster

If your alarm bell box sounds after a power cut then it's a sign the back up battery in the panel needs replacing. The reason it sounds is because all power has been cut to the external bell box, a healthy battery would prevent this.

Not necessarily. Most modern alarms will activate if the mains is lost when the system is set. It's in case the mains has been deliberately cut off to the system by an intruder. But yes they will also sound if the alarm is unset and there's no battery back up in the control panel.

How many people own modern alarms and/or healthy batteries though?

Given the noise that transpired the other day, I'd say most don't have either around me! :hihi:

As it happens, modern/battery or not, they are often very high-pitched and even one is enough to disturb me, so even if most had perfect systems, one is enough!, especially when I'm pretty sure that they aren't being burgled, like the other night.

Edited by *_ash_*

Really ? I don't think so....

Just a case of people not replacing the back up battery ( every 5 years recommend)

Probably all the Telstar systems fitted for free !

No they don't and are NOT allowed to by EN standards .... But what do I know I've only been installing for over 25 years ....

No they don't and are NOT allowed to by EN standards .... But what do I know I've only been installing for over 25 years ....

Every alarm I've fitted over the last 32 years has had that feature.

Fitting them wrong then ! So what your saying .... When the power goes off ... And the alarm is set .... The external bell rings ....even if no detector has been activated ?

Mine was flickering in S3 on xmas eve.

Its a clear sign that the national grid is currently struggling with demand.

We need those nuclear power station ASAP

Fitting them wrong then ! So what your saying .... When the power goes off ... And the alarm is set .... The external bell rings ....even if no detector has been activated ?

Although I do not fit alarms anymore I was trained in security and emergency alarm systems at Loxley college so im not up to date. An alarm had to be able to be in battery standby for at least 8 hours without sensing battery drop where the outside sounder or sab detects its on its last bit of power so activates. In short a normal domestic alarm should not activate if the back up battery is good. There are some instances where commercial alarms may be set to detect electrical power failure or tamper, even so these are usualy monitored and the sounders are delayed until help arrives.

Edited by Erin

Right OK..