How do you know??

I've had dogs with dementia and heartbreaking though it is, no matter what the reason, when a much loved pet stops having a decent quality of life, that is the time. Our feelings aren't as important as our pets. We have the power to help them not to suffer or feel miserable. When I know that it is only a matter of time, I would rather take that final step before things have deteriorated. Rather a week too soon than a day too late. xx

Absolutely right, but some people hang on for themselves, its the last act of kindness we can give them after all the unconditional love they have given us.

It will break my heart when its time for my old girl, but better than watch her suffer knowing things won't get better

The title of the thread is what I'm asking but my question is when do you know is the right time to have an animal PTS? ��

My 14-year old dogs back end is going and he keeps falling and tripping. He's also now limping on his front foot which I'm sure is as a result of another fall. He can go a few days being fine, then he has a day where he trips and hits the floor.....again

The vet put him on Tramadol but he keeps whining. Is whining a cry of pain or is it a whine meaning he wants something. He's started whining though the night now. Other morning I got up at 5am to let him out. He didn't go to have a wee or do a motion, he just went and stood at gate looking out. Don't know if he's in pain or not. I'm so confused.

Really appreciate any advice

Ahh bless him.. I hate to ask because I'm sure you already have, but have you spoken to the vet? When a dog gets old they'll have all sorts of ailments but they can still have some quality of life, the vet is usually the best person to advise of your dogs pain etc, dogs shouldn't suffer uneccesarily but at the same time their little lives shouldn't be cut short if they've still got something left in them.. It's a tough one..

My mum and dad had a cocker who lived to be 18yrs old! He was a right little character, he went deaf at 15, lost all his teeth bar two at 16, lost his eyesight at 17!!! But he still kept on going and was always wagging his tail happily.. He had plenty of life left in him even after all that but eventually he did get worse and the day finally came for him to be PTS and that decision was based on him being incontinent and no longer having the use of his legs.. Mum wouldn't let him go for a long time and she hasn't got a bad bone in her body, she absolutely adored that little dog but IMHO I think she kept him around a tad too long..

It's a really tough choice and I don't envy you :(

I hope you find peace no matter what you decide :)

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.This is the only thing I can give…The love I left behind. – Author Unknown