How do you know??

Our rescue dog passed away on 29th August 2014 and I'm still completely heartbroken and would give anything and everything I own to have her back, however I obviously know this isn't possible and I just want to know how you know when it's time to adopt again???

Just thinking about rehoming another dog makes me feel like I'm betraying our previous dog, but I also feel selfish for not adopting another dog as we can give him/her such a good life. I'm in constant emotional turmoil about this and just wondered how others have handled this situation.

I lasted six months before I had to get another dog. It's not betraying Your old dog because you are saving another dog by rescuing it. It may also help the healing process it did me .

My cat Molly had to be put to sleep a few years ago, not long after I'd lost my mum and it absolutely broke my heart.

I decided I never wanted to go through it again. After about a month I started looking and saw 2 cats on a rescue centre website that had been badly treated and I knew I could help them. It took a lot of patience and hard work. Despite their bad start, they have turned out to be the most loving cats ever . I was still grieving and I think they healed me as much as I did them.

I'm not sure how you know it's the right time , you just know xx

I don't think there is ever a 'right' time, certainly I still feel the pain of losing my dogs 13 years ago, but you can make new memories and allow love for another pet to fill a little of the hole in your heart and take away some of the pain xx

Just thinking about rehoming another dog makes me feel like I'm betraying our previous dog, but I also feel selfish for not adopting another dog as we can give him/her such a good life. I'm in constant emotional turmoil about this and just wondered how others have handled this situation.

I had a similar dilemma my cat died. I found my way round it by fostering for a rescue. That way I had cats in my life and was helping them, but didn't feel I was betraying midge.

I had a similar dilemma my cat died. I found my way round it by fostering for a rescue. That way I had cats in my life and was helping them, but didn't feel I was betraying midge.

That is a very good idea! I do volunteer at a couple of dog rescues and was up there yesterday taking donations, bedding, food etc and saw a little dog that made my heart flip so I'm thinking about going back again tomorrow and bringing her home for the Xmas period.

We lasted just over two weeks after losing our dobe Ailsa :( there was a huge dobermann shaped hole in our lives and though neither of us coyld consider getting another pup and we didnt have £1000 to pay for one either, our experiences with Ailsa gave us the confidence to consider a rescue dobe instead. We had planned to go away (originally intended taking Ailsa with us but sadly she had to be pts the week before, so we had a miserable week away). Whilst on holiday, I was contacting dobe rescues up and down the country and only one was willing to consider rehoming to a working couple - even though we both worked just a ten minute drive from home.

We are so grateful to FOND, the only rescue that would consider us. Jesse is so different to Ailsa, we werent replacing her, we've given another unwanted dog her second/third/fourth chance (she had been unwanted, rescued but to the wrong home, rescued again but then kenneled before we gave up our sofa, most of the bed and our hearts to this daft doberbeast

You will know when you are truly readyand thereis no set time

The title of the thread is what I'm asking but my question is when do you know is the right time to have an animal PTS?

My 14-year old dogs back end is going and he keeps falling and tripping. He's also now limping on his front foot which I'm sure is as a result of another fall. He can go a few days being fine, then he has a day where he trips and hits the floor.....again

The vet put him on Tramadol but he keeps whining. Is whining a cry of pain or is it a whine meaning he wants something. He's started whining though the night now. Other morning I got up at 5am to let him out. He didn't go to have a wee or do a motion, he just went and stood at gate looking out. Don't know if he's in pain or not. I'm so confused.

Really appreciate any advice

you never forget a pet by adopting a rescue you are giving a rescue the chance to have the same love and happiness you gave your other pets

The title of the thread is what I'm asking but my question is when do you know is the right time to have an animal PTS? ��

My 14-year old dogs back end is going and he keeps falling and tripping. He's also now limping on his front foot which I'm sure is as a result of another fall. He can go a few days being fine, then he has a day where he trips and hits the floor.....again

The vet put him on Tramadol but he keeps whining. Is whining a cry of pain or is it a whine meaning he wants something. He's started whining though the night now. Other morning I got up at 5am to let him out. He didn't go to have a wee or do a motion, he just went and stood at gate looking out. Don't know if he's in pain or not. I'm so confused.

Really appreciate any advice

Dogs, just like people can have dementia. mine sometimes goes into her own little world, or whines for no reason.

She gets up at 3am for no reason, but as tired as I am I make the most of every minute.

As I said in another post she's 17 and we're living on borrowed time, but I think unless you're selfish and hold on to save your own pain, then you know in your heart when its time.

Edited by Orangepip

I've had dogs with dementia and heartbreaking though it is, no matter what the reason, when a much loved pet stops having a decent quality of life, that is the time. Our feelings aren't as important as our pets. We have the power to help them not to suffer or feel miserable. When I know that it is only a matter of time, I would rather take that final step before things have deteriorated. Rather a week too soon than a day too late. xx