Harlequin pub,Nursery Street

Can anyone help me find out the previous name of the Harlequin pub on Nursery Street, if in fact it had a previous name. When I see it on google it looks to be in the same or similar location to a pub where the CEU union had a branch , I think it was the Nursery Tavern, though a little foggy on that one. I used to meet up with some steel erector friends there on the union nights, late 70's early 80's. I remember being kidded on that I would be dog sledding to work when I left to go to Canada In fact I sent a postcard to the pub saying how much I loved it in Canada and signed off saying, " Gotta go now and feed the huskies, before I leave for work" lol :D

Can anyone help me find out the previous name of the Harlequin pub on Nursery Street, if in fact it had a previous name. When I see it on google it looks to be in the same or similar location to a pub where the CEU union had a branch , I think it was the Nursery Tavern, though a little foggy on that one. I used to meet up with some steel erector friends there on the union nights, late 70's early 80's. I remember being kidded on that I would be dog sledding to work when I left to go to Canada In fact I sent a postcard to the pub saying how much I loved it in Canada and signed off saying, " Gotta go now and feed the huskies, before I leave for work" lol :D

The Harlequin pub on Nursery Street used to be called the Manchester Hotel.

The original Harlequin, before it got knocked down was here I think. :huh:

In the 1970s the Harlequin was the Manchester Hotel. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo. Here is a 1965 photo of the original Harlequin on the corner of Johnson Street and Stanley Street as Mr Bloke indicated. :)

Edited by hillsbro

My Father was also a Steel Erector in the 70s and I used to go with him to pay his union subs on a Friday night,, good times, he was called Dougie Tansley

The Nursery Tavern (well documented on SF) was on Eccleshall Road. very well ran by the diminutive Vera (I think).

Both were watering holes of mine for many years.

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 20:17 ----------

In the 1970s the Harlequin was the Manchester Hotel. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo. Here is a 1965 photo of the original Harlequin on the corner of Johnson Street and Stanley Street as Mr Bloke indicated. :)

At the time that photo was taken Hilda Bagshaw was the landlady of the Harlequin.

Edited by Kidorry

The Harlequin was around the corner from The Manchester Hotel, spent many an hour in there in years gone by with my dad. Great little pub. Also remember holding my Auntie Muriel's retirement do in the upstairs room.

The Harlequin has a long history. It is shown on its original site in a directory of 1837, when it was known as the Harlequin & Clown, and William Marshall was the licensee. By 1855 it was the Harlequin Inn with Elizabeth Ogleby in charge.

Edited by hillsbro

At the time that photo was taken Hilda Bagshaw was the landlady of the Harlequin.

Great stuff Kidorry, and If I had the ability to write a novel about anything about older Sheffield, then the grand name 'Hilda Bagshaw' would be the heroine .

As I recall, both pubs were within "Easy Staggering Distance" of your house !!

Merry Christmas to you and the family

Edited by Falls

The Nursery Tavern (well documented on SF) was on Eccleshall Road. very well ran by the diminutive Vera (I think).

Yes that is what threw me, the other forum posts concerning the Nursery Tavern and the Nursery Street thing got me mixed up. Manchester Hotel sounds about right .Thanks for all the help guys. Merry Christmas all:)

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 21:08 ----------

My Father was also a Steel Erector in the 70s and I used to go with him to pay his union subs on a Friday night,, good times, he was called Dougie Tansley

I don't know your dad's name ,but could have met him. I remember the licensee and his wife were both involved in the steel business before they took the pub. I believe his name was John, can't recall his wife's name but she did work for a fabrication company I had dealings with. Ask your Dad if he knows Terry Holmes and his younger brother David and if he remembers Kenny Manton getting killed at Shepcote Lane about 1977/8. Have a good Christmas.:)

Edited by TORONTONY
o

As I recall, both pubs were within "Easy Staggering Distance" of your house !!

Merry Christmas to you and the family

Cheers,and the very best to you and yours.

---------- Post added 25-12-2015 at 08:13 ----------

The Harlequin has a long history. It is shown on its original site in a directory of 1837, when it was known as the Harlequin & Clown, and William Marshall was the licensee. By 1855 it was the Harlequin Inn with Elizabeth Ogleby in charge.

When Joe Worley had the pub there was a horses hoof mounted on a stand and it was from a Derby winner and also a world heavyweight fight was signed up in there, or so the story goes.