Re-pointing a 1900 semi (gable wall only)

Guest brownd95

Hi All.

I have recently bought a solid brick 1900 semi-detached house.

The gable wall pointing is really bad in places but I have decided I already want the whole wall re-doing.

It's been measured in the past as being around 30m^2.

- Could someone give me a guide price for this job including materials and scaffold etc??

- Should the material be lime mortar as supposed to modern sand cement mix??

- How long does a job like this usually take from start to finish??

- Is there anything that can be done to reduce the amount of cement dust covering everyone's cars on the street??

Thanks in advance,

Dave

You can get the scaffolding to be covered in debris netting as you see on jobs in the town centre. But at a price.

Also the company you employ will more yhan likely use a diamond tipped mortar raking tool (angle grinder). These create a lot of dust but they can be connected to a industrial vacuum cleaner. The angle grinder attachment and vacuum cleaner can be hired.

But whoever you employ you will need to stipulate that you want the scaffold covered up and a dust extraction device employed. It is unlikely you will get the two as standard.

A sand, cement and lime mortar mix is easy enough to supply. You can even get it ready mixed dry. A lime and sand mix can also be employed but you are best waiting for April imo for lime only. Lime only is slower curing. Avoid summer if you can as rapid drying will result in a weak set.

Dave,

In response to the above request.

-For 30m2 x £40m2 plus scaffolding(£250-500 without seeing job)

- I`ve carried out works for The Sheffield Diocese for the last 16 years and they have asked for only a 4:1 sand/cement mixed mortar(only lime to be added when pointing stone)

-if weather allows then i would estimate 5-7 days

-to minimise dust dust extractors on grinders can be used

May i just add that there will be many people who will try to undercut the above statements but i will leave it to you to make your mind up.Including statements from plumbers/decorators/man and vans etc Lol

Ian Hodgson Building Contractor

Hi All.

I have recently bought a solid brick 1900 semi-detached house.

The gable wall pointing is really bad in places but I have decided I already want the whole wall re-doing.

It's been measured in the past as being around 30m^2.

- Could someone give me a guide price for this job including materials and scaffold etc??

- Should the material be lime mortar as supposed to modern sand cement mix??

- How long does a job like this usually take from start to finish??

- Is there anything that can be done to reduce the amount of cement dust covering everyone's cars on the street??

Thanks in advance,

Dave

dorberman seems to know what he is on about . Yes 4 to 1 sand and cement mix. Only thing is seems to cheep for a job like this more £ 1.500 so no money up front // Me bricklayer for 40 years be carefull.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 11:21 ----------

Dave,

In response to the above request.

-For 30m2 x £40m2 plus scaffolding(£250-500 without seeing job)

- I`ve carried out works for The Sheffield Diocese for the last 16 years and they have asked for only a 4:1 sand/cement mixed mortar(only lime to be added when pointing stone)

-if weather allows then i would estimate 5-7 days

-to minimise dust dust extractors on grinders can be used

May i just add that there will be many people who will try to undercut the above statements but i will leave it to you to make your mind up.Including statements from plumbers/decorators/man and vans etc Lol

Ian Hodgson Building Contractor

with

7 days work for £500 do you come to work on a motorbike. // with 2 men its at least a weeks work.

Edited by spider1

dorberman seems to know what he is on about . Yes 4 to 1 sand and cement mix. Only thing is seems to cheep for a job like this more £ 1.500 so no money up front // Me bricklayer for 40 years be carefull.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 11:21 ----------

with

7 days work for £500 do you come to work on a motorbike. // with 2 men its at least a weeks work.

Not you again.a builder who can`t read what it says on the tin.

30m2 at £40 m2=£1200 plus scaffold at £250-500 which =£1450-1750 without viewing job for access.

But after 40 years experience i bet you get to work on a mobility scooter.Dread seeing you get up scaffolding.

Check your bi focals before sarcastic remarks smart a**e :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Not you again.a builder who can`t read what it says on the tin.

30m2 at £40 m2=£1200 plus scaffold at £250-500 which =£1450-1750 without viewing job for access.

But after 40 years experience i bet you get to work on a mobility scooter.Dread seeing you get up scaffolding.

Check your bi focals before sarcastic remarks smart a**e :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

lear

When you price for a job make it clear to a customer how much its going to cost in total no mumbo jumbo. I am only trying to help lad maybe you should get advice from some one with a bit more experience than yourself . And yes you wont see me stood on a scaffold no more for to much money for that. Going to cricket in S. A. for a month oh its a hard life. Might be you you some day if you wise up :hihi::hihi::hihi::

lear

When you price for a job make it clear to a customer how much its going to cost in total no mumbo jumbo. I am only trying to help lad maybe you should get advice from some one with a bit more experience than yourself . And yes you wont see me stood on a scaffold no more for to much money for that. Going to cricket in S. A. for a month oh its a hard life. Might be you you some day if you wise up :hihi::hihi::hihi::

I have 30 years experience and anyone can total up 30 x £40 ANYONE

Enjoy S.A PAL.

I`m looking forward to my 3 weeks in Candolim-Goa on 2nd Feb.Beats stood on a scaffold doesnt it??

Better than match of the day this. :)

LOL Glad your enjoying the crack Gerry.

I love this forum.I wasn`t even quoting but offering advice to the poster but rich kid(elderberry) pokes his nose in without being able to read(AND WRITE)

he`s so OLD/RICH/EXPERIENCED/OPINIONATED

You do get some folk on here.

Gents, pointless having daft arguments on here.

Your both brickies with a lot of years experience.

You can both sod off as I'm off to skeggy next week anyway so I win hands down, clearly.

Have a nice Xmas lads and new year

I think these two should sort their differences out by having a piano smashing competition like the good old days when brickies were brickies.

Forty Foot (Wordworth Avenue) pub car park, an old upright piano and a sledge hammer each.

Winner wins the argument although If they don't drop dead first I doubt they will lay any more bricks. :)

Look i am am the bricklayer he is the apprentice . He is only good at lying down thinks he knows everything and knows nowt. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: