Advice regarding Daughters Cough

My little girl is 6 years old. She is normally fit and well, can do athletics and other physical activities without a problem.

HOWEVER every time she get an illness whether it be a cold or a sniffle or sickness etc, she always gets a horrible dry persistent hacking cough....to the point it keeps her awake at night and she gips.

I've took her to the doctors countless times and get the same answer no matter WHAT she gets poorly with...its a viral infection its viral.

It is so distressing hearing her coughing and unable to sleep and not being able to ease it with anything at all. My heart tells me that something isn't right, she gets this with every illness, i feel like doctors won't listen to me. I think i want to get her tested for Asthma but wanted to see if any other parents have had the same experience.

Thanks

My little girl is 6 years old. She is normally fit and well, can do athletics and other physical activities without a problem.

HOWEVER every time she get an illness whether it be a cold or a sniffle or sickness etc, she always gets a horrible dry persistent hacking cough....to the point it keeps her awake at night and she gips.

I've took her to the doctors countless times and get the same answer no matter WHAT she gets poorly with...its a viral infection its viral.

It is so distressing hearing her coughing and unable to sleep and not being able to ease it with anything at all. My heart tells me that something isn't right, she gets this with every illness, i feel like doctors won't listen to me. I think i want to get her tested for Asthma but wanted to see if any other parents have had the same experience.

Thanks

I think that's the key phrase. Parents have an instinct that is often right and shouldn't be ignored, in my opinion.

Next time there is a problem with coughing at night, record it on your phone and play it to the doctor at her next appointment.

To help combat dry throats or minor throat infections, I find chewing gum regularly is the best preventative measure and cure.

Thanks

exactly the same with my 5yr old son.i remember taking him to hospital after midnight and it was noticed then he really had some wheezes sound from his chest so they nebularized him and gave him inhaler for the future.its still not diagnosed as asthma but they wont until he is ?yr old.

now every time he is ill ,he is end up using the inhaler but he feels better then.

exactly the same with my 5yr old son.i remember taking him to hospital after midnight and it was noticed then he really had some wheezes sound from his chest so they nebularized him and gave him inhaler for the future.its still not diagnosed as asthma but they wont until he is ?yr old.

now every time he is ill ,he is end up using the inhaler but he feels better then.

Also for my son, who is six. He has been diagnosed with asthma, though actual wheezing attacks are few and far between (usually triggered by pollen allergies). However, when he gets a cold he has awful coughing fits to the point where he is exhausted and almost makes himself sick. The only way we can stop the coughing is to give him a dose of ventolin/salbutamol (blue inhaler), but we have had to do this up to 10 times a day. Our GP and various phamacists have been unable to come up with anything more effective.

Strange thing to suggest I know but vapour rub on the soles of the feet at bedtime covered with a pair of socks can help with nighttime coughs.

My son exactly same. Has been dx with asthma by doctor but l think it's related to stress or dust or dairy foods , and that inhalers simply suppress symptoms although can save lives too