Tim Peake ISS launch a hoax?

I watched the live launch on 'This Morning" (my wife watches it) when they cut back to the studio, the look of bewilderment on Phil and Holly's face was a picture.

Maybe like me they'd noticed the two astronauts were obviously not experiencing the G forces expected if sat in a rocket hurtling into space and no sign of vibration seen on the internal camera.

The two are sat effortlessly writing notes throughout the launch, on the live feed Tim lifts his head, smiles and waves to camera when according to the commentary they are travelling at over 4700 mph. I've since seen a clip from ch4 news where they claimed he made the gesture when he was no longer under velocity, but that conflicts with what was shown in the live launch.

Last night I watched a documentary on BBC iPlayer about Tim's "journey" to becoming an astronaut, in that they discuss G force on reentry but not on take off, one previous visitor to the ISS does mention the vibration on take off though.

In short I'm saying it would be impossible to sit and write notes so effortlessly if at all during a rocket launch. With G force, vibration, adrenaline, the instinct to cling on for dear life. I'm sure if Tim is in space, he didn't go in that rocket.

Launch video.

This one he does the headlift and wave at around 4.10 and the speed is stated as over 4700 mph

Edited by vResistance

You are not alone in thinking this. If you look at the explanation in the link then it will help you understand.

ISS launch was a fake.

The launch G of the Soyuz is apparently around 3. It increases later in the flight when they throttle the engines up (after air resistance falls due to altitude).

I don't see why it would be impossible to write notes at 3g (if that's actually what he's doing), and it's impossible to see the faces clearly enough to note any effects of the g force.

For reference, Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers puts you under 4.7g of acceleration, but it's not constant, it's direction changes a lot.

You are not alone in thinking this. If you look at the explanation in the link then it will help you understand.

ISS launch was a fake.

Will do, cheers.

Very funny so gforce and vibration are all a conspiracy theory.

Edited by vResistance

The trick is to place the astronaut's chairs on the ceiling of the rocket, similar to how I do in the (heavily adapted) Alcocopterâ„¢ when delivering Marmite sandwiches to the Space Station.

That way, you're falling at the same speed as you're going up, and, as such, experience no g forces. :thumbsup:

I did note with interest though that one of the cosmonauts is a fully trained dog handler, which to me suggests that there's still hope of finding Laika, seen

(at around 4.30) having fun from inside the occasionally see through LCD privacy glass nose cone of Sputnik 2, some 58 years earlier.

So some basic physics here. G forces are only experienced during a change of momentum. To keep things nice and simple for you as clearly these concepts are hard:

- How does it feel when you pull away quickly from a junction in your car? Do you feel you are pushed backwards into your seat? Yet you are only doing 20mph!

- How does it feel when you are driving calmly on a motorway, just cruising along? Do you notice how you aren't being pushed backwards in your seat? Yet you are doing 70mph!

Now apply that to the launch. The rocket attains near maximum speed very quickly. The high G force being pulled will only last while the rocket is accelerating the fastest, which will not be immediately after take off and will end well before the rocket reaches space.

Also, no vibrations? Is that the best you can do? Have you not seen those steady cam mounts? They completely remove any shake from a cameraman who is walking around shooting video. Do you not think that perhaps the ESA have got something similar. People really do look for the teeniest bit of 'evidence' to back up their beliefs don't they? Same in politics. An MP of a party you don't like does something bad and everyone cries foul, the moment someone you support does it you try to come up with ways to explain and excuse them.

Honestly, why is it that pretty much all the conspiracy theorists lack any basic science understanding? Can you explain how they've faked weightlessness?

And using daytime TV presenters facial expressions as some kind of scientific evidence that something is wrong is hilarious.

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 11:20 ----------

ISS launch was a fake.

Boom! Lovely.

Edited by sgtkate
Badly worded

So some basic physics here. G forces are only experienced during a change of momentum. To keep things nice and simple for you as clearly these concepts are hard:

- How does it feel when you pull away quickly from a junction in your car? Do you feel you are pushed backwards into your seat? Yet you are only doing 20mph!

- How does it feel when you are driving calmly on a motorway, just cruising along? Do you notice how you aren't being pushed backwards in your seat? Yet you are doing 70mph!

Now apply that to the launch. The rocket attains near maximum speed very quickly. The high G force being pulled will only last while the rocket is accelerating the fastest, which will not be immediately after take off and will end well before the rocket reaches space.

Honestly, why is it that pretty much all the conspiracy theorists lack any basic science understanding? Can you explain how they've faked weightlessness?

And using daytime TV presenters facial expressions as some kind of scientific evidence that something is wrong is hilarious.

I was about to write something similar myself, possibly with a hint more sarcasm. Good explanation.

Are you saying they sent an empty (and expensive) rocket into space?

I'm just saying it doesn't appear Tim Peake was sat in the rocket that we saw being launched. If that's the case then why assume anything went into space.

http://www.space-affairs.com/index.php?wohin=3rdfloor_p

'During a Soyuz launch, g-forces from 3.6 to 4.2g acceleration of gravity respectively could approach. During re-entry of the Soyuz capsule, the g-forces are similar if there is a nominal flight.' *

* translated from German

Thanks,

The launch G of the Soyuz is apparently around 3. It increases later in the flight when they throttle the engines up (after air resistance falls due to altitude).

I don't see why it would be impossible to write notes at 3g (if that's actually what he's doing), and it's impossible to see the faces clearly enough to note any effects of the g force.

For reference, Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers puts you under 4.7g of acceleration, but it's not constant, it's direction changes a lot.

If you watch the second video in the OP, you get a pretty clear view, the astronauts appear to be under. no stresses whatsoever

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 11:20 ----------

Boom! Lovely.

I think you will find that launch acceleration will be rather low as there is a lot of fuel to burn and engines are cold. The acceration will build to a peak, when the rocket will stage and then the acceleration will drop down again as the next fully laden stage fires.You also get a higher specific impulse in a vacuum compared to the atmosphere.

Acceleration isn't high there is staging, vibration of a camera attached to what's vibrating?

Why on earth shouldn't he be able to write....

I'm just saying it doesn't appear Tim Peake was sat in the rocket that we saw being launched. If that's the case then why assume anything went into space.
Where do you think the rocket went?