Connecting old pc tower to internet

Hi, I have two questions. 1. I have a very old desktop which I don't want to use anymore. It has a file on it that I want to transfer to my laptop. A friend suggested emailing it to myself, to pick up on my laptop. However, it isn't connected to the internet and the tower doesn't have anywhere to plug an ethernet cable in so I can use it wired, just to email the file. Help!!! Any suggestions?

2. Any ideas on how I can install a printer without the installation disc?

1) The simplest way is to use an USB flash drive - copy files from first PC on in, an then copy those files to the laptop.

2) If both systems are on the same home or work local network, share a folder and copy into and out again to the folder.

USB drive not a possibility?

USB memory stick is your best bet. However older PC's can networked by other means apart from the Ethernet cable but it's not easy.

Regarding the printer the best bet is do a Google search using the make & model for the driver software. However have you tried to connect it anyway because windows (if that's what your using) might already have the software installed or know where to find it!

Thankyou for the replies, will try both later

Both Obelix And Paddy have answered the question. If you have trouble .. Remove the hard disk and connect directly to the new pc. Because you indicate it is old school, You will need an adapter to connect the old IDE Ribbon cable to the new socket. EBay have them.