A friend has left his wife but..

Hello there, I'm after some advice from anyone for a friend.

So as the title says he has left his wife, they have a son together aged around 9, he is ideally wanting the ex and his son to remain in the house as he is able to get support from family, the mortgage is in his name alone.

So is his wife entitled to any benefits or anything, she works only part time.

He is really wanting her to be able to remain in the house for his sons sake.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

She may be entitled to help with housing benefit and council tax.

If she works 16 hours or more per week she may be entitled to Working Tax Credit. She may also qualify for Child Tax Credit. I presume the Child Benefit is in her name? Also your friend should pay maintenance for his son. This is a good website http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Re: bold above - paying the mortgage on the house his ex and child live in isn't enough? I'd say what he's doing is extremely honourable, it leaves her with zero security whatsoever though.

Thanks for your replies, he is living off scraps atm and paying for everything, I'm just asking as he needs a way out acrimoniously. I have advised him to take a trip tithe CAB, just thought I'd see if anyone on here has any personal or legal advice.

Edited by web1

Under contrived tenancy rules, it is unlikely that she will be able to claim housing benefit because the house is owned by her husband and father of her son. They need to sit down and make some proper financial arrangements. Perhaps a visit to the Citizens Advice Bureau would be useful.