Fatal RTA Barnsley road 19/12/2015

Barnsley Rd shut at Firvale.Buses using Herries Rd

Been told 1 Fatal Slovak… RIP….

Black Skoda travelling down Barnsley Rd… took out central bollards opposite off-licence then head on with private hire going up Barnsley Rd in the opposite direction..flipped over taxi before smashing head on again into hackney carriage. travelling behind first one...

Nothing much left of the Skoda.. even engine has broken loose.. debris every where ..suspension and wheels all the way down to Tesco…

Edited by ukheman

sheffield online says theres been a serious accident involving 3 cars.

That happened right early, a friend told me it was already blocked off at 5:45.

Its still closed..taped off at bottom part of Barnsley Rd near Tesco express..there was a gritting truck there but no cars..

Does anyone know if buses are still diverted on Barnsley Road near junction of Firth Park Road after RTA in early hours of morning?

This is terrible news and my heart goes out to those involved and their families.

I have posted on here many times about this junction.

True to say that at this moment in time we don't know the circumstances that led up to the incident but it certainly sounds as though there was excessive speed involved - possibly.

Hopefully, those who deal with these things will give serious thought to the layout and street furniture on and around this junction. There have been far too many incidents and near misses there in recent times - I have witnessed many as I travel through that junction twice daily when working.

Again - my thoughts are with those involved and their families and also the police, ambulance and hospital staff who had to deal with the aftermath.

This is terrible news and my heart goes out to those involved and their families.

I have posted on here many times about this junction.

True to say that at this moment in time we don't know the circumstances that led up to the incident but it certainly sounds as though there was excessive speed involved - possibly.

Hopefully, those who deal with these things will give serious thought to the layout and street furniture on and around this junction. There have been far too many incidents and near misses there in recent times - I have witnessed many as I travel through that junction twice daily when working.

Again - my thoughts are with those involved and their families and also the police, ambulance and hospital staff who had to deal with the aftermath.

What can be done though if indeed excessive speed was involved?

Having seen the photos of where the incident happened - it is clear I was mistaken about the location.

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 15:03 ----------

What can be done though if indeed excessive speed was involved?

Who knows since it appears the deterrents currently in use aren't working.

Have you any suggestions ? - serious question.

What kind of speed must they have been traveling at to do that kind of damage, I feel sorry for the dead person not a nice way to go, but surely if they had been driving properly to the 30mph speed limit there the accident would probably not have been so bad.