Analog to digital audio converter..

I've tried a couple of A/D audio converters, but they both had the same 'problem' for me - in both cases the output sampling rate was 48KHz, whereas I need 44.1KHz. Claiming 'support for sampling rate at 32, 44.1, 48, and 96 KHz' is fine, but it's the output rate that's important in my particular case.

The inputs would ideally be either RCA or minijack, with outputs either coax or optical...it matters not.

Anyone any suggestions, without going stellar on price?

I think we can forget the circa £10 brigade (unless you know differently!)

Thanks for your time...

Assuming it's USB and/or plugs into your PC, You can change the output sampling rate of any device.... to what it's capable of, or below!

Assuming it's USB and/or plugs into your PC, You can change the output sampling rate of any device.... to what it's capable of, or below!

I can change the source from 44.1 if I wanted, but it doesn't get me anywhere to do so.

The adapter, seemingly fixed at the 48 sampling rate , will 'lock' with the destination (a digital recorder) allowing a recording to be made.

Uncouple the connection, the recorder 'unlocks' back to its internal clock speed of 44.1, rendering the recording almost a semitone and a half 'slow'....

I can change the source from 44.1 if I wanted, but it doesn't get me anywhere to do so.

The adapter, seemingly fixed at the 48 sampling rate , will 'lock' with the destination (a digital recorder) allowing a recording to be made.

Uncouple the connection, the recorder 'unlocks' back to its internal clock speed of 44.1, rendering the recording almost a semitone and a half 'slow'....

that would tell me it's the recorder that's the limiting factor then...

that would tell me it's the recorder that's the limiting factor then...

Indeed, but if you want to print a CD as an end result, 44.1 it must be....

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 21:45 ----------

whats the converter and whats the recorder and source.

Are you sending sync?

Converters have been ditched, so brands unknown...plenty of them on certain well-known auction sites, (albeit most are D/A rather than t'other way round)

Source for digital element could be keyboard through PC.

Recorder is 128 track Roland.

Is this a repeat of the same question/problem you asked before?

Is this a repeat of the same question/problem you asked before?

Different recorder, similar problem.

Tried your previous idea about the split analog lead : worked, but needed a lot of volume on the input mixer which increased hiss, so still looking for a set 44.1 converter....

Sorry if I sound thick, but I have really no idea what your trying to achieve?

Saying "Source for digital element could be keyboard through PC.

Recorder is 128 track Roland" to me says nothing.

What Roland product?

Are you or can you use a mixer?

What I'm trying to achieve is, on the face of it, quite simple....but proving not to be!

A laptop, new but with no digital outputs, has an audio track that I'm trying to transfer to a digital recorder which has digital inputs.

With the laptop having only mini-TRS out, the experiment involved an analog to digital converter/adapter between the laptop and the Roland : TRS to RCA inputs on the adapter, and then either coax or optical out.

I don't know the brand of the converters I've so far tried, but look at this as an example :

http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/converters-scalers-c105/audio-spdif-analogue-dacs-c106/analogue-stereo-to-spdif-digital-audio-converter-p2730

Note the spec "The digital output signal is a 2 channel uncompressed LPCM with a sampling rate at 48KHz"

Yes, the Roland will "lock" and successfully record : I have an initial choice to make recordings at 32, 44.1 or 48. As the eventual aim is to produce a CD, 44.1 is the choice.

Playback is fine until the the A/D connection is unplugged : the Roland detects the clock change, and forces you to revert to its own "internal" clock.

The playback is then dropped by a semitone and a half ( or as near as makes no odds) which, of course, renders any additional musical accompaniment "out of tune".

As far as I can see, it's the converter's "sampling rate at 48HKz" that causes the problem, hence my original request for something similar that uses 44.1...

You can use SoX to change the sample rate http://sox.sourceforge.net/ converting sample rate should be avoided if possible, it'll mean a slight loss in quality, but if you need to then SoX is the best converter.

If your source audio is on a laptop, surely it's already digital? Why can't you just burn your CD from the laptop?

Do you need it on spdif for some reason? I think it might be that causing your sample rate problems? You can see the limitations/quirks of that format here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF You may need to manually set the sender & receiver sample rates each time.

You can probably buy an external usb soundcard with s/pdif quite cheap. A lot of laptops will have digital mini-trs out too. Obviously outputting analogue audio from the laptop & converting it to digital is a bad idea, you want to output it digitally to avoid an unnecessary double-conversion. You should be able to buy an external soundcard with spdif for around £20, but double check that you need one first & not just a new cable for the laptop's mini-trs output.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK#Mini-TOSLINK

Edited by anywebsite

Just checking but are you sure the TRS outputs are not digital also?

My Macbooks use it like that.

Surprisingly for a new Toshiba, it's not an optical out....to be fair, it doesn't say it isn't, but I don't fancy pushing a miniToslink in to find out!

Looked at the Behringer - suspect that 'transfers' at 48K as well.

What Roland product is it and is this used to mix and make the final 2track with an internal cd burner?

VS880EX, yes, but would be external burner

Does the laptop have HDMI? - that's digital, and you can get HDMI to TOSLINK or SPDIF etc..

Got one : that's what I was calling the 'split lead'....

---------- Post added 20-12-2015 at 12:38 ----------

Does the laptop have HDMI? - that's digital, and you can get HDMI to TOSLINK or SPDIF etc..

Yes.

That's a thought...

I know less than zilch about HDMI - I don't even have a TV, let alone a home cinema or whatever they call 'em these days!

Can HDMI carry audio only?