Electrician Fail.

If your landlord thinks the work described is acceptable then he has no respect for his own property or you as a tenant . Also one wonders what other dodgy workmanship has been carried out in the property you live . I hope for your own safety you have a carbon dioxide detector and smoke alarms in the house . I have genuine concerns for your safety and am not scaremongering .

mmm ... my thoughts too

Here's a thought, why don't tradesmen do the job they've been trained to and do it properly. I shouldn't need to know the ins and outs of electrical fitting - that's what the guy is paying an electrician for.

I would have thought that the majority of blokes were into DIY and interested to learn how to do some jobs for themselves or at least to learn how things do work.

I don't profess to be a professional builder, but I'm not afraid to tackle any job that needs doing around the house, whether it be decorating, laying a carpet, joinery, plumbing or electrical.

That's the point I was trying to get across in my post....... having a bit of knowledge can go a long way in making sure that any 'tradesman' you employ to do a specific job is carried out in the correct way.

I would have thought that the majority of blokes were into DIY and interested to learn how to do some jobs for themselves or at least to learn how things do work.

I don't profess to be a professional builder, but I'm not afraid to tackle any job that needs doing around the house, whether it be decorating, laying a carpet, joinery, plumbing or electrical.

That's the point I was trying to get across in my post....... having a bit of knowledge can go a long way in making sure that any 'tradesman' you employ to do a specific job is carried out in the correct way.

What's the purpose of the metal sheathing you suggested should be fixed over the cable in your earlier post?

If you haven't already done so you must contact your landlord straight away to inform him of this cowboy workmanship .

If your landlord thinks the work described is acceptable then he has no respect for his own property or you as a tenant . Also one wonders what other dodgy workmanship has been carried out in the property you live . I hope for your own safety you have a carbon dioxide detector and smoke alarms in the house . I have genuine concerns for your safety and am not scaremongering .

A carbon dioxide detector would lead to a lot of sleepless nights.

A carbon dioxide detector would lead to a lot of sleepless nights.

Oops a daisy , I meant a carbon monoxide detector . Thank you for pointing out my mistake :love:

My original post has now been corrected .

Edited by Gamston
post update

If you haven't already done so you must contact your landlord straight away to inform him of this cowboy workmanship .

If your landlord thinks the work described is acceptable then he has no respect for his own property or you as a tenant . Also one wonders what other dodgy workmanship has been carried out in the property you live . I hope for your own safety you have a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarms in the house . I have genuine concerns for your safety and am not scaremongering .

I have. He does the annual carbon dioxide certificate and we have emergency lighting. The boiler has been 'in the red' over a year though. He keeps gettng someone out to dabble with it. I am still waiting to get working handles put on the doors and the hinges fixed where they have cracked along the screw line as it's an older terrace. There is a one inch gap between the bath and the wall and I fear it will end-up in the kitchen one day.

He seems to think I will do all the minor repairs for the cost of materials and still wants to charge a high rent (almost £700 for a three-bed in S10) that hasn't had anything done to it in years). he wouldn't even dispose of the ivy that got taken down as it was growing through next-door's roof. He isn't a 'professional' landlord and having animals limits ones options somewhat.

........................The landlord sent round a 'handyman'...(he referred to him as a builder)...His solution?....He took the gubbins out of the lock, so there wasn't a latch at all...

We had a similar one to that when I was still working. Our office/work/tea room had two doors, one in from the corridor, the other in the opposit corner to an adjacent office and labelled "Fire Exit".

Trouble was that we couldn't open the latter as there was a filing cabinet on the other side, so we complained to the occupants. We were basically told tough luck, we've nowhere else convenient to put it.

Unusually for us we played the Health and Safety card; H&S folks came round, agreed that a fire door shouldn't be obstructed, and measured the room :confused:

Quick check of floor area and we were told that a room that size didn't need a fire exit, so he took the sticker off the door and walked back to his office. :(

But if I'm standing over someone checking they've done it right I might as well do it myself.

What's the purpose of the metal sheathing you suggested should be fixed over the cable in your earlier post?

What's the cable made of: PVC

Supposing you want to put a nail in the wall to hang something on it, the cable has been sunk into the wall and plastered over with any mechanical protection - what do you think is going to happen ?

The nail is going to penetrate the cable and short it out, blow the fuse or knock the breaker off......you won't be able to use that circuit again until the cable is replaced !

The idea of the metal sheathing is to provide some means of mechanical protection and should also have an earth bonding tag from it to go into the back box of the socket outlet or switch if its a lighting circuit.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 00:16 ----------

But if I'm standing over someone checking they've done it right I might as well do it myself.

Firstly, if you had that bit of knowledge I mentioned in my earlier post then you could have done the job yourself - but, you would have had to had it checked out by a professional to ensure that it had been done correctly.

Secondly, it is common sense to check that anyone undertaking electrical work, plumbing work, before they commence work that they are qualified to do so, and in the case of anyone installing gas appliances that they are Corgi registered.

Ask yourself if you would drag in your home any passing bloke and ask him to install for instance a cooker point for you........NO, you would need to verify that he his competent to do so.

Supposing you want to put a nail in the wall to hang something on it, the cable has been sunk into the wall and plastered over with any mechanical protection - what do you think is going to happen ?

The nail is going to penetrate the cable and short it out, blow the fuse or knock the breaker off......you won't be able to use that circuit again until the cable is replaced !

The idea of the metal sheathing is to provide some means of mechanical protection and should also have an earth bonding tag from it to go into the back box of the socket outlet or switch if its a lighting circuit.

Firstly, if you had that bit of knowledge I mentioned in my earlier post then you could have done the job yourself - but, you would have had to had it checked out by a professional to ensure that it had been done correctly.

Secondly, it is common sense to check that anyone undertaking electrical work, plumbing work, before they commence work that they are qualified to do so, and in the case of anyone installing gas appliances that they are Corgi registered.

Ask yourself if you would drag in your home any passing bloke and ask him to install for instance a cooker point for you........NO, you would need to verify that he his competent to do so.

So qualified people never bodge stuff.

Good tip, I'll write that down.

No need for metal trunking if the consumer unit is RCD protected, plastic will do.

No need for metal trunking if the consumer unit is RCD protected, plastic will do.

Ooooo! Get Yooooo! :hihi: