Electrician Fail.

I had an electrician round today to repair the ring main in the kitchen. All seemed good until I tried to close the kitchen door. The wiring stands proud of the wall and interferes with the closing of the door. Either the door will have to be planed and the frame built-up or it will have to be hung from the other side, or we never close the door fully.

Get him back to do the job properly.

Are you sure he is an electrician

The wires should be chased in to the wall for safety and aspect reasons .

Edited by Gamston

The landlord booked him in. One of the joys of renting. Although after three months of running an extension lead from the living room, I was hoping for something with a little more class.

Not much of an electrician if he's installed a cable on the surface of a wall near a door !

The cable should have either been chased into the wall and then protected by a length of metal sheathing, or if surface mounted installed in mini-trunking.

You want to get him back and get him to do the job properly.

Pity more people don't know about how cables should be installed and protected, then whilst he was doing the job, you could have questioned the reason he wasn't chasing the cable into the wall or laying it in a protective mini-trunking.

The landlord booked him in. One of the joys of renting. Although after three months of running an extension lead from the living room, I was hoping for something with a little more class.

If you haven't already done so you must contact your landlord straight away to inform him of this cowboy workmanship .

If your landlord thinks the work described is acceptable then he has no respect for his own property or you as a tenant . Also one wonders what other dodgy workmanship has been carried out in the property you live . I hope for your own safety you have a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarms in the house . I have genuine concerns for your safety and am not scaremongering .

Edited by Gamston
corrected error

Surely there are health and safety issues here!

I would speak to a certified electrician to see what the legality of the wiring is.

I rented a house where the back door closing latch didn't work reliably, sometimes it would stick closed...Other times it would stick open, and using the handle had no effect whatsoever, and I had to use a knife to open it again...I could close the door, but it drifted open again, or I couldn't open it at all (without the aid of a knife) unless I physically locked it with the key...The landlord sent round a 'handyman'...(he referred to him as a builder)...His solution?....He took the gubbins out of the lock, so there wasn't a latch at all...

I rented a house where the back door closing latch didn't work reliably, sometimes it would stick closed...Other times it would stick open, and using the handle had no effect whatsoever, and I had to use a knife to open it again...I could close the door, but it drifted open again, or I couldn't open it at all (without the aid of a knife) unless I physically locked it with the key...The landlord sent round a 'handyman'...(he referred to him as a builder)...His solution?....He took the gubbins out of the lock, so there wasn't a latch at all...

I had a landlord's 'handyman' come round to a house I rented after I reported the stairs had collapsed (a couple of treads had come out of the stringer around the kite). He expertly fixed it, by lifting out the loose treads and creating a top quality support for them to sit on out of an old skateboard he'd found under the hedge in the garden which he cut in half with his metal cutting hacksaw. He didn't even drill a clearance hole in the skateboard for the screws, resulting in them floating in mid-air, fixed only to the stringer by a couple of No10's!

I only discovered the extent of the handyman's expertise when I nearly went through the stairs shortly after, and decided to fix them myself in the manner that a qualified joiner would adopt.

Same handyman came round to free up the cold tap on my bath as it'd stuck, due to lack of use (I use the shower). Without even looking at the problem he gave the tap a quick squirt of WD40 and told me it'd be working again in three days (:huh:). Obviously, it wasn't, so I fixed it myself by fitting a new tap (two actually, as I couldn't find a matching one to the working hot tap which looked as if it'd been bought on special offer at Poundland anyway). :mad:

This service courtesy of a very well known letting agency.

Not much of an electrician if he's installed a cable on the surface of a wall near a door !

The cable should have either been chased into the wall and then protected by a length of metal sheathing, or if surface mounted installed in mini-trunking.

You want to get him back and get him to do the job properly.

Pity more people don't know about how cables should be installed and protected, then whilst he was doing the job, you could have questioned the reason he wasn't chasing the cable into the wall or laying it in a protective mini-trunking.

Here's a thought, why don't tradesmen do the job they've been trained to and do it properly. I shouldn't need to know the ins and outs of electrical fitting - that's what the guy is paying an electrician for.

Here's a thought, why don't tradesmen do the job they've been trained to and do it properly. I shouldn't need to know the ins and outs of electrical fitting - that's what the guy is paying an electrician for.

The point here I think is was the person doing the job a qualified electrician? It reads as though the landlord has just got someone who said he could do the job on the cheap.