Coke from gas works

Don't think the hardships we endured hurt any of us. I think we were born tough in those days and very few of us would have had it any different. I wonder how the kids of today would react to those circumstances, we just accepted it as the normal way of life and if we had objected we would probably in a lot of cases had our backsides tanned.

Too right they were and you couldn't get the grime off your hands with the mangy soap we had those days.

And only wimps had prams we 9/10 year olds carried (or dragged) a sack.:P

Couldn't afford a sack, just got

the coke loose, emptied in the pram.:(

When we lived on Upperthorpe Rd my sister mother and I used to go to neepsend gas works I'm not sure what time it was but it was in the middle of the night to get 3 bags of coke (each bag weighed 1/4 cwt) and push it back up the hill before school. We moved to Parson Cross in 1947 and my sister and I used to push the barrow all the way to Neepsend and push it back. The barrow had little iron wheels and one day we pushed it off the kerb at the end of Neepsend and one of the wheels broke in half. We managed to find some old rope and made a loop over the axle and my sister put the other end of the loop over her shoulders to lift the axle off the ground and I pushed it all the way up Herries Rd and Wordsworth Ave whilst she supported it. She was 2 years older than me. I was about 11 then.

Don't think the hardships we endured hurt any of us. I think we were born tough in those days and very few of us would have had it any different. I wonder how the kids of today would react to those circumstances, we just accepted it as the normal way of life and if we had objected we would probably in a lot of cases had our backsides tanned.

All politically correct crap now, in our day police could take action ,solution toughen up on idiots suing authorities, and parasite lawyers.

If I remember correctly, you had to do it AFTER the war, too. There was a coal shortage until round about 1950, wasn’t there?

I was recently opening up a walled up fire place. Among the rubble was a receipt from a coal merchants for a delivery in about 1944.

Printed on it are wartime regulations, one is "that it is a criminal offence to obtain coal other than from your registered supplier"

I have kept it and put it away somewhere, but will look it out as it is quite interesting regarding this.

I'm only in my 40s but things were harder even back in the 1960s, it seemed to be around the mid 1970s that "do gooders" started having an effect on society and look at the mess we are in now :( Almost brings tears to my eyes when young people cannot work out if they need a screwdriver or a spanner to drive a nail into a wall to hang a picture.

Very few people care about anyone but themselves, I remember when people used to at least say "good morning" or "lovely day" when passing in the street.

My grand parents lived on Minto Road, Hillsborough even up to the 1970s they only had one cold water tap and and an outside lavvy, now if you haven't got at least three bedrooms, a small fleet of cars on the drive you are a failure! No central heating, yikes you are living in poverty.

I'll get mi coat

/end of rant

I'm only in my 40s but things were harder even back in the 1960s, it seemed to be around the mid 1970s that "do gooders" started having an effect on society and look at the mess we are in now :( Almost brings tears to my eyes when young people cannot work out if they need a screwdriver or a spanner to drive a nail into a wall to hang a picture.

Very few people care about anyone but themselves, I remember when people used to at least say "good morning" or "lovely day" when passing in the street.

My grand parents lived on Minto Road, Hillsborough even up to the 1970s they only had one cold water tap and and an outside lavvy, now if you haven't got at least three bedrooms, a small fleet of cars on the drive you are a failure! No central heating, yikes you are living in poverty.

I'll get mi coat

/end of rant

who were your grandparents? i lived on minto road and my dad still lives there now.

And dont forget the clinkers,if your mother put some cawks on the fire they would crack and shoot across the room faster than the shot from a walkers cannon.I wish I had a quid for every time I went to neepsend tip to pick cawks not only for us but the neighbours and we did it for nowt thats what people were like then.Oh grinderbloke you forgot the ensuit.es it would be about 1949-50 and we humped them on our shoulders in owd sacks in all weathers and thought nowt of it.They dont make em like us now!

And dont forget the clinkers,if your mother put some cawks on the fire they would crack and shoot across the room faster than the shot from a walkers cannon.I wish I had a quid for every time I went to neepsend tip to pick cawks not only for us but the neighbours and we did it for nowt thats what people were like then.Oh grinderbloke you forgot the ensuit.es it would be about 1949-50 and we humped them on our shoulders in owd sacks in all weathers and thought nowt of it.They dont make em like us now!

Gas works tip 1970's

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/img038.jpg

There,s nowt worse than clinkers!

When researching the family history I discovered on of my Grandfathers was a "Gas Stoker", it sounded a bit confusing until I realised he was a Stoker in the coal gas manufacture.

I can remember going with my mom and baby brother from Newhall Road to the gas place on Upwell Street to get coke. He was born 1947 so it must have been shortly after that. Those big prams were handy weren't they?:thumbsup:

We may have stood in the same queue.I remember going there from Carlisle Rd. Waiting until they weighed the coke and pushing it back home in my sisters pram, who was also born 1947