Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

No.

Have you actually read any of the info about this, or are you just trying to be some kind of miserable luddite ?

No need to be insulting....but you are right Muddycoffee...there could be greater capacity , but my understanding is that it is a maximum of 2 trains per hour,

that of course is a maximum..it could be one train per hour or much less....as Geared rightly pointed out it's purely what if's .

Has anyone noticed the gradual creep in the cost of this project?

Initially circa £30bn, slowly rose to £40bn, now recent estimates put the first London->Birmingham link a touch under £50bn with the entire thing now over £100bn.

Is it time to stat placing bets on the final cost?

Guest sibon
No need to be insulting....but you are right Muddycoffee...there could be greater capacity , but my understanding is that it is a maximum of 2 trains per hour,

that of course is a maximum..it could be one train per hour or much less.

That is a maximum number of high speed trains. I'd expect other services too, via different routes.

If they are building new lines, an increased number of trains would seem inevitable.

that of course is a maximum..it could be one train per hour or much less....as Geared rightly pointed out it's purely what if's .

It could be one train a day. It could be, by 2028 "actually, budgets going over. Do we need a spur? Lets ditch that and go straight to Leeds".

That is a maximum number of high speed trains. I'd expect other services too, via different routes.

If they are building new lines, an increased number of trains would seem

inevitable.

''That is a maximum number of high speed trains''...yes.. but travelling slowly.

''If they are building new lines, an increased number of trains would seem

inevitable''.

Without going back to the reports I don't think HS2 are intending to build any other lines .

Guest sibon

Without going back to the reports I don't think HS2 are intending to build any other lines .

And with that, I'll abandon this conversation.

You should really go and do some reading.

And with that, I'll abandon this conversation.

You should really go and do some reading.

If you're referring to electrification of the loop to M18...the money seems unclear .

As of December 2018 Leeds will be closer to London than Sheffield timewise.

The argument is not whether we need HS2 or not it is about if the economy can afford it. Governments have decided we can so the contracts for phase 1 to Birmingham have received Royal Assent, contracts signed and preparatory work started.

The anti HS2 campaign groups have spent millions of southern taxpayers money failing to stop HS2 but have left a legacy of a library of off the shelf complaints now available to residents, anti SCC, anti train and the "it won't affect me so I'm against it" brigade.

The change in routes which has caused the most recent media frenzy has mainly (including Mexborough) have absolutely zilch to do with SCC- they are money saving exercises, justified by environmental issues and despite the overwhelming opinions against.

Suddenly the speed of trains to Leeds appears. Sheffield will have for the foreseeable future trains built between 20 and 40 years ago. Leeds will have brand new trains capable of higher average speeds. Electrification might rebalance this but HS2 certainly will.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet. But SCC weren't the main reason why the route got moved to the city centre instead of Meadowhall. It was the fact it was ONE BILLION POUNDS CHEAPER to do so.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet. But SCC weren't the main reason why the route got moved to the city centre instead of Meadowhall. It was the fact it was ONE BILLION POUNDS CHEAPER to do so.

If SCC hadn't campaigned against the Meadowhall station, would HS2 have changed the plans??

The route HASN'T been moved to the city centre. The route will entirely bypass Sheffield now and a spur line using existing rail will run to Sheffield.

Guest makapaka
The route HASN'T been moved to the city centre. The route will entirely bypass Sheffield now and a spur line using existing rail will run to Sheffield.

It does run to Chesterfield though which is where it spurs off. There's also no change so you will remain on the newer trains.

Chesterfields obviously not very far away so I doubt it will have a massive difference on the journey time and will also increase the capacity.