Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Guest sibon
Irrespective of the route of HS2 I just don't see the need for it. My work takes me to London on a regular basis, 40 mins off the journey time isn't that bigger deal - given the money being spent on this I'd have rather seen it spent on free high speed Wi-Fi for the trains to ensure I can work on the train.

I suspect that could have been done a lot cheaper than HS2

Would a more frequent service help you?

Tinsley have more need to have immediate access to HS2 than the city centre because......?

Because those in the city centre can travel to tinsley to get it. Are you happy now you have to travel the CHESTERFIELD to get it???

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 08:34 ----------

I dont care about Rotherham and Barnsley. I live in Sheffield.

Ahh, an excellent sod you jack im all right attitude. Are you celebrating now its in Chesterfield?

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 08:37 ----------

People always on here moaning about the death of the city centre and now they want to move a major railway development out to meadowhall.

Do you think Leeds would allow their HS2 station to be in Headingley?

OK, i will bite. How would having an HS2 staion in the centre have helped? There is no parking, no capacity for rebuilding, roads to it are awful. Oh, hang on, would you have been one of those advocating demolishing Sheffield Hallam and the technology parks for the extra car parking and 50 story office blocks for the non-existent jobs?

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 08:39 ----------

No it doesn't.

Err, yes. A slow speed spur line with reduced train numbers, is NOT HS2!!!

Electrification to Bedford was completed in 1983.

As Blue Day said, the thought of paying an arm and a leg for a HS2 ticket will look less inviting if journey times are reduced by an electrified Midland Main Line.

Perhaps they'll ditch the electrification plans as a way of "encouraging" us to use HS2. They'll need to claw back the wasted billions from somewhere...

Like when they brought in a 50mph speed limit enforced by LOTS of cameras on the A38 when the M6 toll opened?

Not particularly - I never struggle to either book a seat or get to London in time for meetings and back home at a reasonable time, I'd just rather make the most of the 2 hours on the train without having to fork out money for it every time.

Irrespective of the route of HS2 I just don't see the need for it. My work takes me to London on a regular basis, 40 mins off the journey time isn't that bigger deal - given the money being spent on this I'd have rather seen it spent on free high speed Wi-Fi for the trains to ensure I can work on the train.

Free at Sheffield and St Pancras station

15 min free enroute.

£6 a day

£15 pounds for 10 hours in a month.

£30 pounds a month unlimited.

Free in First Class.

Other networks are available.

The nature of wifi in 10-15 years is currently a guess. Usage of wifi on the very old stock on East Midlands trains is limited by this and the end of the EMT franchise next year. Charging reduces the demand. It is government policy in the south east to have free wifi by next year at a cost of £50 million.

Free at Sheffield and St Pancras station

15 min free enroute.

£6 a day

£15 pounds for 10 hours in a month.

£30 pounds a month unlimited.

Free in First Class.

Other networks are available.

The nature of wifi in 10-15 years is currently a guess. Usage of wifi on the very old stock on East Midlands trains is limited by this and the end of the EMT franchise next year. Charging reduces the demand. It is government policy in the south east to have free wifi by next year at a cost of £50 million.

So at a cost of approx £50m we could have free Wi-Fi on the East Midlands line as opposed to £42billion cost of HS2 - unless the gov't thinks the South east and London is the only region deserving of free WiFI?

If it had gone to Meadowhall people would have moaned that the city centre was neglected and therefore doomed.

They couldn't win let's face it.

I for one am glad it's coming into the town centre.

But its NOT coming into the city centre. Its a SLOW spur line with fewer and smaller trains

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 09:03 ----------

A more frequent service would help everyone, however, what Sheffield will be getting is a LESS frequent service than the rest of the HS2 line

Guest makapaka
But its NOT coming into the city centre. Its a SLOW spur line with fewer and smaller trains

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 09:03 ----------

A more frequent service would help everyone, however, what Sheffield will be getting is a LESS frequent service than the rest of the HS2 line

Slow all the way from Chesterfield to Sheffield?

If it had gone to Meadowhall people would have moaned that the city centre was neglected and therefore doomed.

They couldn't win let's face it.

I for one am glad it's coming into the town centre.

Me too people do not like having to change even if it is quicker.Lugging suitcases around platforms and the potential for delays to the connection puts them off.

The service to London is already pretty good when I use it.

makapaka

Slow all the way from Chesterfield to Sheffield?

yes, and up to the point where it rejoins the proper line.

The farming family that built their house with their own hands then brought their kids up on their land will not agree.

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 07:30 ----------

So how much time out of our lives will all these billions of pounds spent save us.

Mean while over at the N.H.S:help:

30 minutes I believe from Sheffield to London. I stand to be corrected though.

Angel1

80 minutes a day

400 minutes a week

20800 minutes a year

57 days a year less to spend with your family and friends