Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

The 16 properties at risk will be compulsory purchased at market value pre-HS2 plus 10%. Yes, they are really losing out :loopy:

Its not all about money. Im nowhere near the route but Id be gutted to have to move out of the house I brought my children up in etc.

If it had gone to Meadowhall people would have moaned that the city centre was neglected and therefore doomed.

They couldn't win let's face it.

I for one am glad it's coming into the town centre.

People are not getting it...high speed rail is not coming into the City centre...only slow speed rail with an absolute maximum of two trains per hour will be coming into the city centre . Meadowhall would have provided the only full high speed rail with a stop for the whole of the Sheffield City region...Sheffield council spent a lot of money lobbying against , and undermining the Meadowhall option, this despite being told by Higgins on several occasions that high speed would not go into the city centre .

Guest makapaka
People are not getting it...high speed rail is not coming into the City centre...only slow speed rail with an absolute maximum of two trains per hour will be coming into the city centre . Meadowhall would have provided the only full high speed rail with a stop for the whole of the Sheffield City region...Sheffield council spent a lot of money lobbying against , and undermining the Meadowhall option, this despite being told by Higgins on several occasions that high speed would not go into the city centre .

high speed rail goes from London to Chesterfield and then joins a line between Chesterfield and Sheffield doesn't it?

Guest busdriver1
Its not all about money. Im nowhere near the route but Id be gutted to have to move out of the house I brought my children up in etc.

That does not really apply here since they are newish houses.

high speed rail goes from London to Chesterfield and then joins a line between Chesterfield and Sheffield doesn't it?

It does...it goes from the south to Chesterfield at high speed , but it can only travel slowly from Chesterfield to Sheffield , in car terms it goes like a Ferrari to Chesterfield and like a Lada into Sheffield .

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 23:25 ----------

Actually that is not totally correct , the homes on the Shimmer estate are new, but the homes on Don View are old, in fact the ones on the farm were built many years ago for the sons and daughters of the farmer...they still live in those properties .

With respect, I don't think you are understanding the issues very well at all. Even with a space age massive HS2 station 60 metres above Midland station on a futuristic viaduct, the train would not be travelling at 200 mph and then stopping at Sheffield. It would still be slowing down miles before the outskirts of Chesterfield so that a sudden braking was avoided which would cause injury and damage to contents and passengers.

At ground level the slowing down has to happen much earlier as passing through a built up area you cannot push a train through at enormous velocity as it would cause noise, wind and disturbance to people and other vehicles in the vicinity. High speeds would only be possible, as they are today on the HS1 in the remote countryside on very straight flat sections of the route where the up and down lines have a wide gap between them..

With all that in mind and the need for a transfer to a slow train to go from Meadowhall to Sheffield which would have been on a different grade, requiring an escalator, stairs or a lift to get to, the difference will probably be minimal between walking out onto the Midland Station Concourse with a HS2 station at Meadowhall and one via a Conventional section through chesterfield and the sheaf valley.

With respect, I don't think you are understanding the issues very well at all. Even with a space age massive HS2 station 60 metres above Midland station on a futuristic viaduct, the train would not be travelling at 200 mph and then stopping at Sheffield. It would still be slowing down miles before the outskirts of Chesterfield so that a sudden braking was avoided which would cause injury and damage to contents and passengers.

At ground level the slowing down has to happen much earlier as passing through a built up area you cannot push a train through at enormous velocity as it would cause noise, wind and disturbance to people and other vehicles in the vicinity. High speeds would only be possible, as they are today on the HS1 in the remote countryside on very straight flat sections of the route where the up and down lines have a wide gap between them..

With all that in mind and the need for a transfer to a slow train to go from Meadowhall to Sheffield which would have been on a different grade, requiring an escalator, stairs or a lift to get to, the difference will probably be minimal between walking out onto the Midland Station Concourse with a HS2 station at Meadowhall and one via a Conventional section through chesterfield and the sheaf valley.

I'm not afraid to say I understand the issues very well...I have been discussing them with senior engineers of HS2 and representatives of the DfT for some time . HS2 are quite clear that these trains do not cause a problem with either noise or buffeting of the air to cause disturbance in built up areas . Their roadshow sound booth 'proved' that the noise was virtually inaudible . In fact the well discussed Shimmer Estate is to get full speed HS2 right through the Estate of 211 homes on a viaduct above the line of their upstairs bedroom windows. If the ridiculous 16 properties to be demolished is accepted as a fact, many homes will be less than 15 metres from the track.

Edited by sadbrewer

The farming family that built their house with their own hands then brought their kids up on their land will not agree.

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 07:30 ----------

So how much time out of our lives will all these billions of pounds spent save us.

Mean while over at the N.H.S:help:

The farming family that built their house with their own hands then brought their kids up on their land will not agree.

Does this farming family actually exist? Is it the same one as had a motorway, factory, housing estate, airport extension, nuclear power station, road junction, motorway services, warehouse, etc., built on their land? Their sacrifice knows no bounds.

'The Waltons' image of the agriculture business should have ended with that programme in 1981.

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 07:58 ----------

Mean while over at the N.H.S:

...they are waiting for the money that was promised them by the 'brexiteers'.

Irrespective of the route of HS2 I just don't see the need for it. My work takes me to London on a regular basis, 40 mins off the journey time isn't that bigger deal - given the money being spent on this I'd have rather seen it spent on free high speed Wi-Fi for the trains to ensure I can work on the train.

I suspect that could have been done a lot cheaper than HS2

You cannot blame the Tories for this......... Now the government have taken that away for us.

Duuuuurrrrrr.

Putting it in meadowhall defeats the whole idea of the project. Whats the point of shaving 20mins of the length of a journey only to then have to wait in Meadowhall for a tram with your suitcases and then a 20min tram journey into sheffield.

People will just end up getting the normal train.

I think you will find that what they WOULD have done is wait the few mins for the next train to Sheffield centre taking about 5 mins travel. But still, thats all academic now isnt it?

Please tell me how the new proposal is better than the Meadowhall one?

BTW, what IS the travel time from Chesterfield at the moment?