Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

I don't think the residents of Killamarsh, Beighton, Swallownest, Woodhouse Mill, Catcliffe, Waverley, Tinsley, Wincobank, Shiregreen, and Chapeltown were keen on the Meadowhall route. Not to mention the workers at Morrisons in Catcliffe, Boundary Mills, JTF, about half a dozen office blocks in Sheffield Business Park, and the giant SIRFT warehouse, all of which were due to be demolished.

As a killamarsh resident I was less than keen, but I could understand the concept of hs2 and I just had the bad fortune of it being in my back yard (albeit on an old track bed - more or less). Railways in this country need bringing into this century and Meadowhall looked on the face of it a good regional solution.

But I'm pleased it's not going through here now!

I don't think the residents of Killamarsh, Beighton, Swallownest, Woodhouse Mill, Catcliffe, Waverley, Tinsley, Wincobank, Shiregreen, and Chapeltown were keen on the Meadowhall route. Not to mention the workers at Morrisons in Catcliffe, Boundary Mills, JTF, about half a dozen office blocks in Sheffield Business Park, and the giant SIRFT warehouse, all of which were due to be demolished.

I apologise if I gave the wrong impression Swordsman , I am against the project myself , I was specifically referring to the Business and Political interests who gave their support , they were all clear that Meadowhall was the best option for the plan as outlined in 2013 .

As to homes I have every sympathy with anyone set to lose their homes..anywhere at all , and I can never square one person's loss to anothers .

I would though ask people to look sympathetically at the case of Mexborough , a small town of 17,000 now being asked to bear the brunt of Hs2's demolitions . The line will go through a new (2011 and still being constructed ) estate of 212 homes plus an unspecified number more on the other side of the road . These were the first new homes built in the town for 40 years , the first sign of new life and regeneration to a town neglected since it lost it's own UDC status .

In 2013 Hs2 said in there report to Govt . there were to be 616 demolitions

nationally , yet under the 'new ' plan we have 212 alone on the Shimmer Estate plus many more over the road...I ( and others )have written to Higgins asking for exact numbers , he has never replied .

Edited by sadbrewer

So if, as is most likely, we don't get a central HS2 station. Would we still get, as part of the Northern Powerhouse initiative, upgraded/faster trains on existing lines to Leeds and Manchester as I think that is far more important. At least jobs wise, if we could get to Manchester or Leeds in 30 mins by train that would help as both cities are great for jobs as opposed to Sheffield.

That's no consolation if you can't get on the train. HS2 was about increasing capacity not increasing speed or 'nicer' trains.

So if, as is most likely, we don't get a central HS2 station. Would we still get, as part of the Northern Powerhouse initiative, upgraded/faster trains on existing lines to Leeds and Manchester as I think that is far more important. At least jobs wise, if we could get to Manchester or Leeds in 30 mins by train that would help as both cities are great for jobs as opposed to Sheffield.

We'd get a third 'fast' train each hour to Manchester on the current track by December 2018 if the Hope Valley Capacity Scheme construction work started this spring/summer. When completed journey times won't be improved by more than a few minutes at most, but with other line improvements, signalling improvements and timetable tweaking a journey time of 40 minutes from Dore & Totley should be possible. As that's 6 or 7 minutes out of town many residents to the south and west of the city are now finding it a good option.

Unfortunately the scheme went to a public inquiry which concluded last May. The inspector's report was only received at the DfT in mid November and they allow 6 months to make any decision. It seems highly unlikely that Network Rail will be given the go ahead to start in time to keep to the original schedule. Completion for services maybe by May 2019, but probably more likely December 2019 timetable changes, assuming no further delays. There could be at least one as an objector in Hathersage is determined to thwart the planned passing loop at Bamford!

Those expecting a quick HS2 just need to see the Great Western, Midland mainline electrification and tram/train delays to realise nothing comes quickly with rail improvements.

HS2 is a dream fantasy. In the current climate dreams don't become reality and if they do the dreamer will be dead.

HS2 is a dream fantasy. In the current climate dreams don't become reality and if they do the dreamer will be dead.

I've read that 7 or 8 times. It makes no sense at all.

I've read that 7 or 8 times. It makes no sense at all.

This topic has 48 pages now about something that is not going to happen anyway. I see it as a silly British comedy.

It is not a comedy - it's a scandal. There are people who are employed on this and are taking salaries in excess of the Prime Minister's. It is a gravy train. I have seen figures of 60 billion to 100 billion bandied about. Would like to know where this is going to come from when the country can't even fund the NHS properly or look after the disabled/elderly.

It is not a comedy - it's a scandal. There are people who are employed on this and are taking salaries in excess of the Prime Minister's. It is a gravy train. I have seen figures of 60 billion to 100 billion bandied about. Would like to know where this is going to come from when the country can't even fund the NHS properly or look after the disabled/elderly.

Two friends are going away this weekend and the one hour journey return for two people costs £90.

When I tell this my family or friends abroad they scream "you are joking, that cant be true, that's impossible, even a first class ticket don't cost that much, are they crazy or something?"

This gravy train is there to keep the British pound solid, not to build a new train line. If there is no development in a country international investors and traders will downgrade Britain and the pound will drop even further.

I call HS2 a well needed economic crutch wheelchair for economics but it is not there to really serve the public in transport.

This topic has 48 pages now about something that is not going to happen anyway. I see it as a silly British comedy.

On the 23 February 2017 HS2 received Royal Assent.

Construction begins on schedule this spring.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 11:47 ----------

Two friends are going away this weekend and the one hour journey return for two people costs £90.

When I tell this my family or friends abroad they scream "you are joking, that cant be true, that's impossible, even a first class ticket don't cost that much, are they crazy or something?"

This gravy train is there to keep the British pound solid, not to build a new train line. If there is no development in a country international investors and traders will downgrade Britain and the pound will drop even further.

I call HS2 a well needed economic crutch wheelchair for economics but it is not there to really serve the public in transport.

Standard weekend return fares for two from Sheffield to station an hour away:

Goole £19

Scunthorpe £39

Gainsborough £38

Nottingham £42

Leicester £55

Burton on Trent £48* rover

Manchester £42

Huddersfield £26

Leeds £28

Church Fenton £46

Many cheaper Advance fare available.

Two Together railcard? eg London anytime return £99.

Advance and Rail Discounts type discounts for non nationals are rare in many European countries.

If confused please go to the railway station they will sell you the cheapest ticket (always cheaper than Trainline).

They can sell split tickets if you specifically ask for the sections.

On the 23 February 2017 HS2 received Royal Assent.

Construction begins on schedule this spring.

it seems Sheffield will get neither a City-centre station, nor a meadowhall station.

(HS2 trains trundling along the existing tracks don't count)