Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Victoria has the small advantage of not already being a congested mainline station, there is also more scope for regeneration.

The report suggested that location would bring an extra 7k jobs and £5bil to the regional economy when compared with meadowhall, independent or not the other councils arguments seemed to based mainly on the tit for tat, 'if we cant have it, we don't want them to have it'.

Its Sheffield City Region, Sheffield is the major hub and centre for commerce and employment and SCC were only arguing for what Leeds already had so having a moan at them seems a bit harsh.

Well of course the report made wild speculations the way SCC wanted, after all they paid for the report. Its a pretty poor company that writes a report not slanted the way the paymaster wants!!!

I now see it will be quicker to go to Leeds than it wil be to Sheffield. I dont know how its done but wouldnt it be better to have superfast connections between the Northern cities instead? Sheffield to Manchester, Leeds or Hull? The whole thing is a coplete mess and seems more targeted at benefiting London?

That was never a sensible option, so now they've managed to talk themselves (and us) out of benefitting from the whole thing at all. Slow hand clap.

So just to clarify you are moaning at the council for wanting the best possible outcome for the city?

That sounds like complete nonsense to be honest, how would the station being 5 minutes further away at Meadowhall somehow not generate the same jobs and increase in the economy?

I would speculate that it would in fact create more jobs and increase the economy of not only Sheffield but the ENTIRE South Yorkshire region. After all there is plenty of space to expand around Meadowhall, where is the equivalent space in the City centre? The transport links are also FAR better out at Meadowhall

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 09:00 ----------

I now see it will be quicker to go to Leeds than it wil be to Sheffield. I dont know how its done but wouldnt it be better to have superfast connections between the Northern cities instead? Sheffield to Manchester, Leeds or Hull? The whole thing is a coplete mess and seems more targeted at benefiting London?

Of course it is!! When has ANY government actually done something to benefit the north of the UK? Where SCC has the its got to be in the city centre mentality governments always have the its got to be in london mentality. That will never change

That sounds like complete nonsense to be honest, how would the station being 5 minutes further away at Meadowhall somehow not generate the same jobs and increase in the economy?

Put simply 5 minutes time saving on 1000s of journeys add up. That's they way these forecasts work.

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 09:02 ----------

Well of course the report made wild speculations the way SCC wanted, after all they paid for the report. Its a pretty poor company that writes a report not slanted the way the paymaster wants!!!

You are right buts its also a pretty poor company that just makes things up.

So just to clarify you are moaning at the council for wanting the best possible outcome for the city?

But they wernt, all they were wanting to do was to maintain the city centre ONLY policies they have always had, even where it will actually be worse for the city and the region. They have an excellent record of cutting their nose off to spite their face, and BOY have they dropped a good one this time. City centre station or nothing, and they have got nothing

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 09:05 ----------

You are right buts its also a pretty poor company that just makes things up.

Of course the city has an excellent track record of choosing reliable consultants havent they? Sevenstones anyone???

I would speculate that it would in fact create more jobs and increase the economy of not only Sheffield but the ENTIRE South Yorkshire region. After all there is plenty of space to expand around Meadowhall, where is the equivalent space in the City centre? The transport links are also FAR better out at Meadowhall

Speculate all you want but that's all it is.

The higher value employers want a city centre location. Can you give me an example of many legal practices being located at Shopping Centres?

FAR better on the train?

Transport links aren't limited to the train. People need to get to and from the station.

Meadowhall has nearly immediate access to the motorway, it has plenty of space for parking.

It has a regular and fast link (5 mins) to Sheffield centre, and also about the same to Rotherham.

It's a better location in every way than the city centre.

And this campaign has as someone said earlier snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

But they wernt, all they were wanting to do was to maintain the city centre ONLY policies they have always had, even where it will actually be worse for the city and the region.

According to you.

Put simply 5 minutes time saving on 1000s of journeys add up. That's they way these forecasts work.

Try adding up all the NOT HAVING A STATION AT ALL times as a comparison. :roll:

Transport links aren't limited to the train. People need to get to and from the station.

Meadowhall has nearly immediate access to the motorway, it has plenty of space for parking.

It has a regular and fast link (5 mins) to Sheffield centre, and also about the same to Rotherham.

It's a better location in every way than the city centre.

And this campaign has as someone said earlier snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

According to you.

Have you actually read the report?

More boring council bashing.

The govt has managed to get you to blame the council for selling the people of Sheffield short again. clever.

Speculate all you want but that's all it is.

The higher value employers want a city centre location. Can you give me an example of many legal practices being located at Shopping Centres?

FAR better on the train?

Nothing stopping firms having a centre location if they want, that doesnt mean the station needs to be in the centre, only easily reached. After all, how many legal practices are based in train stations?

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 09:17 ----------

According to you.

Yep, according to me :) Perhaps I should hire some shyster consultant to write me report :)