Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Guest busdriver1
16 hours ago, jamie risner said:

It should bring the prices down on normal train lines though - like in Europe. In Italy/France you can pay more and get the high speed train or pay a lot less and get the intercity service... Hopefully that's how it work in the UK!

Given that train fares in the uk are already expensive as a walk up purchase (not all of us have the luxury of getting weeks of notice of our travel requirements) I predict HS2 will be even higher than them giving the impression that the current fares are a "bargain"

17 hours ago, jamie risner said:

It should bring the prices down on normal train lines though - like in Europe. In Italy/France you can pay more and get the high speed train or pay a lot less and get the intercity service... Hopefully that's how it work in the UK!

Dept Transport consultaion

Assumptions on Fares on HS2 London to West MidlandsWe have assumed that the level of fares on HS2 would be the same on average as on other trains and that there would be a similar fares structure.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately the Hope Valley line contains two of the three longest tunnels on the mainland network.  There isn't a lot of headroom so to fit overhead electrification will be difficult and costly (so I have been told). We need someone to come up with hybrid locomotives that can run on electric in the built up section, reverting to  internl combustion elsewhere. 

According to the article below it says "Key government advisers are poised to recommend that the Yorkshire leg of HS2 be scrapped, it can be revealed."

It will be interesting to see what they actually do, although I personally think it is a total waste of money and the existing infrastructure should have been upgraded. An article in The Star says Sheffield is the largest and busiest City that is not on the electrified network. 

Sheffield and Leeds leg of HS2 could be scrapped as advisers set to recommend terminating line early - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

3 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

Agree 100%. Unfortunately the Hope Valley line contains two of the three longest tunnels on the mainland network.  There isn't a lot of headroom so to fit overhead electrification will be difficult and costly (so I have been told). We need someone to come up with hybrid locomotives that can run on electric in the built up section, reverting to  internl combustion elsewhere. 

A third tunnel at Disley on the current main route  should also be included. 

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Already happening (hopefully). See:https://transportforthenorth.com/northern-powerhouse-rail/ 

Purely a crayon doodle -none of this is happening unless it includes Manchester ie Manchester Leeds electrification, Manchester HS2 and Manchester Piccadilly 15&16. There will be no such thing as HS3.

25 years ago the first plans and promises were made to rebuild the Dore junctions and a second platform at the station. This and a loop at Bamford will benefit stone traffic in avoiding the Manchester area more than it will Sheffield Manchester passengers when(if) the work starts in the Spring.

The stagnation of the development of railways in this area will continue because of the failure to proceed with HS2 because  the capacity and re building of Sheffield station, electrification north of Clay Cross to Doncaster/ Leeds are dependent on HS2 plans. Who will mop up the money? Manchester and Leeds.

8 hours ago, iansheff said:

According to the article below it says "Key government advisers are poised to recommend that the Yorkshire leg of HS2 be scrapped, it can be revealed."

It will be interesting to see what they actually do, although I personally think it is a total waste of money and the existing infrastructure should have been upgraded. An article in The Star says Sheffield is the largest and busiest City that is not on the electrified network. 

Sheffield and Leeds leg of HS2 could be scrapped as advisers set to recommend terminating line early - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

Oh my goodness, I'll have to lay down as I'm so shocked at this development.

Goodness me have the Star only just realised that Sheffield is the biggest city without an electrified network

As for the line not reaching Sheffield well I will join Tinfoilhat

Cyclecar: bi modes are readily available today and current thinking is electric with battery for non electrified sections

It is all very well talking about upgrading cross pennine routes but there ain't going to be much spare cash for Sheffield by the time they have done the line from Leeds to Manchester

15 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Goodness me have the Star only just realised that Sheffield is the biggest city without an electrified network

As for the line not reaching Sheffield well I will join Tinfoilhat

Cyclecar: bi modes are readily available today and current thinking is electric with battery for non electrified sections

It is all very well talking about upgrading cross pennine routes but there ain't going to be much spare cash for Sheffield by the time they have done the line from Leeds to Manchester

My bold. 

And let's not forget an airport as well...a proper ring road... 

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

And let's not forget an airport as well...a proper ring road... 

Could not even find somewhere to tie up my horse at the weekend when trying to visit the Market