Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

36 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Did they push for the Meadowhall option?

Nope, they spent thousands trashing the idea, throwing their dummies out of the pram and generally DEMANDING that if hs2 was to come to the city it HAD to be in the city centre and nowhere else was acceptable. 

The government said fair enough, sod you, have this heap of smelly dodo instead, and gave us the Midland option.  Which, blow me the scc STILL wernt satisfied with!!

Looking back on many of SCC's "ideas" they have spent hundreds of thousands in what seems to be a very successful project of turning an excellent progressive city into a failing rundown backwater that no one wants to come to

11 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Nope, they spent thousands trashing the idea, throwing their dummies out of the pram and generally DEMANDING that if hs2 was to come to the city it HAD to be in the city centre and nowhere else was acceptable. 

The government said fair enough, sod you, have this heap of smelly dodo instead, and gave us the Midland option.  Which, blow me the scc STILL wernt satisfied with!!

Looking back on many of SCC's "ideas" they have spent hundreds of thousands in what seems to be a very successful project of turning an excellent progressive city into a failing rundown backwater that no one wants to come to

That was my memory of it, but thought I'd check. 

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

I love this city, but when has it ever been progressive?

There were two options on the table, Victoria and Meadowhall.

Sheffield City Council preferred Victoria and lobbied for it on the groundas of economic benefit to the City. This is what I would expect a City Council to do.

At least 10 Cities, dozens of towns, London boroughs, Home counties, District councils, smaller organizations such as Chesterfield Canal Trust and Aylesbury golf course have collectively spent millions on trying to persuade the Government over HS2 decisions.

Some wanted to defeat the project altogether.

Some wanted a re-route away from them.

The Government decided on Meadowhall and that was it until the Government (Treasury) changed its mind without consultation leaving  us with the worst option

Also if anybody thinks that SCC has any effect over Government decisions they must be stark raving bonkers.

10 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Meadowhall was a suggestion on the original proposal; how can you have missed that?

You misunderstood what I was saying. The way AB worded it was M’hall has now been chosen, but it hasn’t. I know it was in the original planning. 

18 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

You misunderstood what I was saying. The way AB worded it was M’hall has now been chosen, but it hasn’t. I know it was in the original planning. 

Having to repeat the sequence of events each time I reply is tedious, distracting and time consuming.

Several times I have said that of the several initial routes, the choice ended with two.

Several times I have said that the preferred Government route after consultation was Meadowhall. 

Several times I have said that the Government changed its mind and went for HS2 is via Mexborough and that Sheffield will be connected from Midland station to HS2  near Clay Cross.

5 hours ago, alchemist said:

Good comment...

It's such a shame for our once great city.  Flaming heck we built this city on STEEL.  Now we are losing that great heritage our fore farther's worked so hard for.

I don't know a great deal about HS2...But in my mind Meadowhall has to be the correct choice.

The last time i drove past Victoria Station.. it was Decrepit, Defunct and void of activity.!

No to mention where folks would park?

40 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Good comment...

It's such a shame for our once great city.  Flaming heck we built this city on STEEL.  Now we are losing that great heritage our fore farther's worked so hard for.

I don't know a great deal about HS2...But in my mind Meadowhall has to be the correct choice.

The last time i drove past Victoria Station.. it was Decrepit, Defunct and void of activity.!

No to mention where folks would park?

Thats the exact reason why SCC lobbied for the Victoria route as they saw it as an excellent opportunity to genererate growth in that part of the City. 

The area would have been rejuvinated by a new station and associated infrastructure and business.

The choice of Meadowhall was in my opinion the right one- sadly the Government changed their minds without any local consultation.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

5 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The exact reason why SCC lobbied for the Victoria route as they saw it as an excellent opportunity to genererate growth in that part of the City. 

The area would have been rejuvinated by a new station and associated infrastructure and business.

The choice of Meadowhall was in my opinion the right one- sadly the Government changeg their minds without any local consultation.

Yes...Well I would agree to a certain extent that that part of the City would have been rejuvinated...That said...Where would everyone using the Train park?

There just isn't enough room there...Unless they build Multi-Story car parks which would blight the area.

I think Victoria Station should be left as it is...Let the old girl be. 

10 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Yes...Well I would agree to a certain extent that that part of the City would have been rejuvinated...That said...Where would everyone using the Train park?

There just isn't enough room there...Unless they build Multi-Story car parks which would blight the area.

I think Victoria Station should be left as it is...Let the old girl be. 

Very little of Victoria Station remain- a single line and some foundations.

The Royal Victoria Hotel has encroached on the site of the station buildings.

The new HS2 would stretch towards Nunnery requiring the redevelopment of the whole are.

Personally my opinion was for the Meadowhall option, however I fully understand why SCC should see an opportunity to regenerate this area.

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Very little of Victoria Station remain- a single line and some foundations.

The Royal Victoria Hotel has encroached on the site of the station buildings.

The new HS2 would stretch towards Nunnery requiring the redevelopment of the whole are.

Personally my opinion was for the Meadowhall option, however I fully understand why SCC should see an opportunity to regenerate this area.

Hmm...What about the Stone bridge?  And all the surrounding Original Stone work that is still visible today?

Just now, FinBak said:

Hmm...What about the Stone bridge?  And all the surrounding Original Stone work that is still visible today?

The Wicker Arches and the bridge would have regained their importance, having been ignored by Sheffielders for so long.

After all bridge was built by the most important Civil Engineer of the 19th Century although and he was Sheffield born.