Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

The reasons not to have barriers have been discussed at length before, they trump the desire of private companies to do revenue protection in the cheapest way IMO.

The reason you've given is why the TOC would want barriers anyway, not the reason we would want them.

You want barriers? Then stick them at the top/bottom of each stairway. NOT on the route to the tram

You want barriers? Then stick them at the top/bottom of each stairway. NOT on the route to the tram

Can't argue with that.

Can't argue with that.

Installing barriers at the bottom of the staircases would be dangerous. People would get crushed if there was a delay.

And people wanting to avoid paying would just take the lift.

Installing barriers at the bottom of the staircases would be dangerous. People would get crushed if there was a delay.

And people wanting to avoid paying would just take the lift.

Whereas barriers at the much busier bridge that serves 7 of 8 platforms, nobody would get crushed there...

The way to make Midland work as a major transport hub are:

- Demolish Park Hill and build a massive car park in the hill side

- Upgrade the Parkway to 3 Lanes and keep the 70 limit to closer to town

- Build a new slip road from the Parkway, through Hyde Park, into the new car park

- Build a bridge from the bottom of Chesterfield Road to the new car park

Placing the HS2 ptaforms beneath Park Hill, in a tunnelled section which could continue to by-pass the bottle neck at the north end of the station, would be good, with further tunnelling to create a large car park. Sadly, a project of that sort would probably be vetoed on cost grounds alone, let alone worries about the effect on our listed flat blocks.

A new pedestrian bridge across the station will be the responsibility of the next franchise holder. It will need to be raised over any electrified tracks, and widened to cope with future demand. The current bridge, and lifts, are accepted to be inadequate by East Midlands, but any work would be very costly, and probably contentious. They've no incentive to do it at the end of their current franchise. It might be made a commitment in the next franchise tender terms.

Train stations are an ancient way of transfer. The modern way will be syncing parallel trains to transfer passengers onto the fast moving carriages then the transfer station train slowing to stop at the next of two connected stations then back along the same line in the opposite direction to transfer onto the none stop fast train in the opposite direction.

Train station Hah!

So there'll still be stations then, for the "syncing trains" to pick people up at.

So Midland Mainline will not now be electrified, I guess that's partly due to HS2 trains running through Sheffield??

I'm surprised no-one else picked up on this. I don't understand the need for HS2 if the line is electrified. 2hr to London from Sheffield right now is not a great deal and it'd be less than that when electrified. People spend longer than that commuting into London every day.

As for the bridge over the station, well maybe if more train managers did their jobs and actually checked tickets they'd get more revenue from people not paying. The only other solution would be to sort the main/parcel/whatever bridge to be the bridge to get to platforms and just make the current one go straight through. I remember they did this when they were refurbishing the station many years ago.

I'm surprised no-one else picked up on this. I don't understand the need for HS2 if the line is electrified. 2hr to London from Sheffield right now is not a great deal and it'd be less than that when electrified. People spend longer than that commuting into London every day.

As for the bridge over the station, well maybe if more train managers did their jobs and actually checked tickets they'd get more revenue from people not paying. The only other solution would be to sort the main/parcel/whatever bridge to be the bridge to get to platforms and just make the current one go straight through. I remember they did this when they were refurbishing the station many years ago.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is, perhaps I've misunderstood. HS2 is about increasing capacity and expanding infrastructure not cutting the time between Sheffield and London.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is, perhaps I've misunderstood. HS2 is about increasing capacity and expanding infrastructure not cutting the time between Sheffield and London.

HS2 is about supporters of the tories and their cohorts trousering millions of pounds .

As you may have heard the electrification will not take place.

Current journey times were already due to increase because of timetable and speed restrictions south of Bedford.

The Government are correct in saying that the new Bi modes will reduce journey times but only between Nottingham and London where they replace 40year old HSTs.

Elsewhere an electric train carrying its own generator and fuel will have no advantage over the present trains.

But aren't they trying to shove HS2 down the same lines into Midland Station or to build another line? You sometimes already have to wait to get into the station.