Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

To try deter freeloading fare dodging crooks (and beggars) - when the barriers were manned that is!

The reasons not to have barriers have been discussed at length before, they trump the desire of private companies to do revenue protection in the cheapest way IMO.

The reason you've given is why the TOC would want barriers anyway, not the reason we would want them.

I agree, a station in the centre is only convenient if you can actually get there.

Trying to get into the centre of Sheffield in a busy period can be a total nightmare.

The station itself isn't easy to access by car either, there's no room for any extra roads or another platform there?

Not easy to access? I don't understand this. If it's busy it's certainly slower, but it's hardly difficult, is it?

The reasons not to have barriers have been discussed at length before, they trump the desire of private companies to do revenue protection in the cheapest way IMO.

The reason you've given is why the TOC would want barriers anyway, not the reason we would want them.

Missed the point.

When I listed "6. Barriers." in post the post above. It was not a wish. It is planned. A plan imposed by the Government on EMT who have the franchise to run the station. Northern an Cross Country have no say in the matter. That EMT have tried and failed has probably satisfied the Government enough not to punish EMT. The next franchise will be awarded next year an it may well be that the contract will see changes. The re-design and new build for the HS2 of the station might also mean change of ownership from Network Rail.

So why the question?

"What do we want from our station ?"

Is the list related to the question in any way?

It's also a reason many fare-paying travellers might want them - to deter those amongst their fellow passengers who choose not to become customers (and other anti-social behaviour on the station).

Even the keenest guards can't always carry out effective revenue protection on a crowded train between Sheffield and the first stop.

Why would I care if someone manages to travel to Darnall for free?

Why would I care if someone manages to travel to Darnall for free?

You might not care but I for one don't condone theft.

So Midland Mainline will not now be electrified, I guess that's partly due to HS2 trains running through Sheffield??

So why the question?

"What do we want from our station ?"

Is the list related to the question in any way?

Question relates to a Sheffield HS2 station.

List, as stated, relates to in progress and planning in hand prior to the latest HS2 statement( and now MML).

The way to make Midland work as a major transport hub are:

- Demolish Park Hill and build a massive car park in the hill side

- Upgrade the Parkway to 3 Lanes and keep the 70 limit to closer to town

- Build a new slip road from the Parkway, through Hyde Park, into the new car park

- Build a bridge from the bottom of Chesterfield Road to the new car park

it's hardly difficult, is it?

No, but you'd have to be pretty thick to take that statement literally.

but since you want it as simple as possible:

"Access to the centre of Sheffield during peak times and when driving a car takes much longer than at other times of day, this is very frustrating for people who need to get to the station to catch a train"

"Access to drop-off/pick-up areas is not ideal, the route is shared by those looking to park (who may be in a queue to enter the car park) as well as taxi drivers (who often queue the length of cross-turner street)"

"The location of the station allows for little improvement on this front, there is no more space to lay more roads nor is there room at the station site for another platform to allow for future expansion"

Is that easy enough to understand or do you need it drawn out in crayon like usual :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

---------- Post added 20-07-2017 at 13:58 ----------

The way to make Midland work as a major transport hub are:

- Demolish Park Hill and build a massive car park in the hill side

- Upgrade the Parkway to 3 Lanes and keep the 70 limit to closer to town

- Build a new slip road from the Parkway, through Hyde Park, into the new car park

- Build a bridge from the bottom of Chesterfield Road to the new car park

A man can but dream :hihi::hihi::hihi:

You might not care but I for one don't condone theft.

And I'd be perfectly happy for the TOC to use appropriate measures to ensure people have tickets.

But not at the expense of closing a public bridge that they don't own and which is used to access the city.