Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Because it'll take 3 minutes longer to get to London from Sheffield, as opposed to Leeds.

The point is though Sheffield had an advantage being 30 miles further south...this plan actually loses that advantage.

But it's not ploughing through killamarsh now. Score!!!

#proudnimby

;);););)

But what about the poor people of Mexborough.

You really are a selfish Tinfoilhat aren't you.

The point is though Sheffield had an advantage being 30 miles further south...this plan actually loses that advantage.

Absolute minuscule point in the grand scheme of things. A few minutes either way would make no difference

I think you can see from the attitudes of people on here as to why Sheffield is being left behind by Leeds and Manchester.

I bet they are having a parade tonight to celebrate HS2 being confirmed in their city.

And probably why we will never get projects like the proposed Channel 4 headquarters.

I think you can see from the attitudes of people on here as to why Sheffield is being left behind by Leeds and Manchester.

I bet they are having a parade tonight to celebrate HS2 being confirmed in their city.

And probably why we will never get projects like the proposed Channel 4 headquarters.

Good god no. Sheffielders could not possibly cope with having a load of arty farty LGBT black ethinic disabled media luvvies investing money and building their head office in this city.

In fact whilst we are at it. Lets get the whole creative arts and legal quarters pulled down and made way for some more steel works or dug up for coal mines.... just like those proper jobs for real people.

God forbid there is any attempt at progress in this place. That just wont do.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You cannot blame the Tories for this, The blame lies firmly at the door of SCC . we were getting a a new HS2 station on the main HS2 line until they moaned it wasnt running through the city centre. Now the government have taken that away for us.

It is actually worse than moaning that it didn't go to the city centre....they spent almost a quarter of a million pounds on a report, part of which was designed to rubbish the Meadowhall plan .

Check my posts. Whilst I've not been a standard bearer for hs2 I've acknowledged our transport network needs major investment - whether it barged through the hallowed earth of t'Marsh or not. I spent hours sat in traffic on our motorway network going nowhere this week. If hs2 can remove a few more of those queuing with me so much the better - for everyone. Unless you live in mexborough.

16 houses in Mexborough is a very small sacrifice to pay for a new railway in our region.

I feel for these people, and hope they will be compensated satisfactorily, however it is worth comparing this with what happened when they originally built the Midland Railway Line along the sheaf valley in 1864 when 1000 recently built houses were compulsory purchased and demolished.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 22:22 ----------

Is that fact?

Surely by the time it's built the numbers using the trains will mean both are required?

If that is the case, then that is an option, however at the moment railway journeys are increasing and many trains are full.

All around the country there are schemes reopening closed branches as people often find congestion and cost of commuting by car unappealing. Like it or not, we need more railways again.

Just try driving around London and you will understand why. Staples corner to Maida Vale 2 hours on a Saturday morning means that you just can't fit any more cars in, they just don't fit, and the only way to move people around is by trains.

Guest makapaka

If it had gone to Meadowhall people would have moaned that the city centre was neglected and therefore doomed.

They couldn't win let's face it.

I for one am glad it's coming into the town centre.

The 16 properties at risk will be compulsory purchased at market value pre-HS2 plus 10%. Yes, they are really losing out :loopy:

It's not only Mexborough which will be blighted locally . A really nice part of Aston will have the line cutting through it.

The 16 properties at risk will be compulsory purchased at market value pre-HS2 plus 10%. Yes, they are really losing out :loopy:

There are far more than 16 properties...that is the figure HS2 have presented to the secretary of state , and does not include the houses and businesses on Don View.

16 is the figure that are actually under the line of the track on the Shimmer estate...that track sits on a huge concrete viaduct well above rooftop height...I asked a senior HS2 engineer how many others would have to come down to construct this viaduct,

what kind of turning circles the earthmovers, concrete mixers, cranes and haulage equipment needed , how many would come down to build the extra road in the construction aspect needed...his answer was ''we don't know ''

As to the compensation figure...as you put it ''Yes, they are really losing out'

no one has been offered enough to buy an equivalent property in another area. My friends paid £180k for their house..full value plus 10% gives them

£198k...the same house on the same company's development a little further away is £30k more... they are set to be royally screwed unless things change.

Edited by sadbrewer