Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

they now say it cant come to city centre coz of flooding risk

This is my first post on this subject, and I start by surmising that by the time (any) HS2 trains are running to Sheffield, my destination will have been the terminus at Hutcliffe Wood……

But for anyone dwelling on the South side of Sheffield, currently, Chesterfield to London St. Pancras is a more workable option. The car park at this end is far cheaper, and if you have a suit case you don't have to lug it over an obstacle course, nor deal with the bizarre taxi graveyard. The return fare is similar, but the journey is about 15 minutes less. And you save on time taken to retrieve your car.

This might change, of course, if the return HS2 fare to London Euston is going to be substantially cheaper than the existing Midland Main Line. I dream…

If it is more expensive, yet save that precious 5 minutes (!), I ask – who will travel on this transport of delight? Will it be such as myself, buying his ticket out of taxed income, or will it be for people who have their tickets bought by someone else? Business travelers, or more likely, public officials will want to be seen on the new plush seats, leaving me to travel steerage….

I have traveled to London on the train many times over the years, and St. Pancras/Kings Cross is a convenient terminus for London in general. And now they even have a branch line to the Continent. Euston I don't need – try lugging a suitcase on the tube, you are as popular as leprosy.

Lastly, British Rail (in all its forms) have missed a trick over the last few decades. If – when they were renewing bridges and suchlike – they had built to continental loading gauge we would now be saving money when it comes to installing overhead gantries. Never mind, put up the tickets.

It's a waste of public money, dreamed up by the Ministry of Bright Ideas in Whitehall. Scrap it now.

Edited by Cyclecar

If it were at Meadowhall it would be much more than a 5 minute saving of course, the parking is plentiful, and you could from the South of Sheffield get a direct connection to Meadowhall from Dore.

If it were at Meadowhall it would be much more than a 5 minute saving of course, the parking is plentiful, and you could from the South of Sheffield get a direct connection to Meadowhall from Dore.

Well, not really at the moment, there are only four direct services on a weekday from Dore to Meadowhall, and only three in the return direction. And of the four from Dore to Meadowhall, three of them are at times where the flow of traffic would be in the reverse direction.

I assume this is something that was going to be modified, though.

Won't that make the train stupid busy during certain periods though?

Yes. Especially so when (if as expected) the current long distance EMT services get cut back and made into more 'regional connectivity' based services to make way for it.

Sheffield will also now only get 'Compatible' trains at 200m (about equivalent to a 9 car version of the current 7 car EMT Stock) compared to the dedicated HS2 stock at 400m.

So the expected service is going to be half the size of a HS2 train and run 30% as frequent as current services.

Council have pulled an absolute blinder on this one!

So the expected service is going to be half the size of a HS2 train and run 30% as frequent as current services.

Do you really expect anything else from them.

Correct, it's a vanity project as far as the council are concerned and they've had a small victory by getting it rerouted - but the only people to benefit are those further north who will get a faster service due to one less intermediate stop and HS2 themselves for whom construction costs have now reduced thanks to not having to build a complex transport interchange at Meadowhall.

Hey Sheffield Councillers? You hear that sound to the north of you?

That's Leeds wetting themselves laughing. Short trains for a city short on ideas, you couldn't make it up..... SCC really have cut the nose off to spite the face...

Hey Sheffield Councillers? You hear that sound to the north of you?

That's Leeds wetting themselves laughing. Short trains for a city short on ideas, you couldn't make it up..... SCC really have cut the nose off to spite the face...

The decision to have a Sheffield Spur has nothing whatsoever to do with SCC.

They did not want it.

They did not plan for it.

In a rush to attack SCC for other motives, too many errors are being made and facts ignored about the process which has led to the Midland station spur.

The government asked for a report in April 2016 on the costs of HS2 phase 2.

Sir Jonathan Hayward recommended 6 changes that would in total save £1billion. In November 2016 the government accepted the report but the decision process is not complete. Further reports and decisions made in late spring 2017. Final decisions in 2019.

This week an announcement was made that the rebuild of Sheffield station, MML electrification and South Kirkby and Doncaster electrification completion will be delayed until 2024 (CP6).

HS2 construction starts this spring/summer.

So what did our council spend all that money doing then??