Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

and it needs to travel in a crazy vacuum thing, which most likely would need to be underground to keep it safe, or maybe keep the entire thing in one big concrete tube on the surface (i'm sure people will be well up for that)

why on earth Sheffield thinks it needs a HS2 line i dont know, its hardly the hub of UK business is it or even a destination city unless you have friends or relatives??? blimey we cant even get the roads or traffic management in decent order !

why on earth Sheffield thinks it needs a HS2 line i dont know

"Even if that's so, Leeds is to have it- so we want it too."

"Even if that's so, Leeds is to have it- so we want it too."

At least Leeds can be called a proper city??:hihi: Sheffield nothing more than a large town with a council that hate business and make it a difficult as possible to operate here due to the roads the rates and general infrastructure.

The council wanted the station in the centre of Sheffield because they argued it was better for the city region, with plenty of research showing they were correct.

The latest option is a cost cutting exercise by the govt, under the guise of them saying 'this is what the council wanted' it isn't, the council wanted the full service into Victoria.

The only research that suggested it was better in the City centre is the research that Sheffield City Council commissioned , used for lobbying with and paid for with £190,000 of public money , including a lavish 'business breakfast' for Hs2 officials at a cost of £6000 .

The latest option will save little or no money ...in my view Sheffield CC don't care where the route or stations are as long as it doesn't spoil their plans for Meadowhall . If so why aren't they complaining that they are being left out .

---------- Post added 15-11-2016 at 18:57 ----------

Victoria has the small advantage of not already being a congested mainline station, there is also more scope for regeneration.

The report suggested that location would bring an extra 7k jobs and £5bil to the regional economy when compared with meadowhall, independent or not the other councils arguments seemed to based mainly on the tit for tat, 'if we cant have it, we don't want them to have it'.

Its Sheffield City Region, Sheffield is the major hub and centre for commerce and employment and SCC were only arguing for what Leeds already had so having a moan at them seems a bit harsh.

7k jobs and half a billion to the regional economy is the kind of forecast you get when you pay someone to do the research to back your case up.....as Sheffield City Council did .

Problem with the Centre of Sheffield choice is that it is only a spur off the main line, which means the majority of trains will probably just wizz past Sheffield on the main line, without stopping at all, so we'll be worse off.

So sheffield council throw their toys out of the pram and moan about HS2 going to a purpose made station at Meadowhall and now end up with the main line totally by-passing sheffield. :hihi::hihi:

Only SCC could shoot themselves in the foot like this.

---------- Post added 15-11-2016 at 19:21 ----------

Problem with the Centre of Sheffield choice is that it is only a spur off the main line, which means the majority of trains will probably just wizz past Sheffield on the main line, without stopping at all, so we'll be worse off.

Spot on ,but SCC seem incapable of seeing their mistake .

Am I missing something here, won't catching an "intermediate" train on the "spur line" just negate any time savings?

Am I missing something here, won't catching an "intermediate" train on the "spur line" just negate any time savings?

It's certainly going to have an effect. It can't not.

It's meant for business, not social and pleasure use

So people who claim it through expenses or who choose to commute because the London wage premium makes it worth their while

So there are going to be thousands of business people going up and down to London every day from the North? If that is all it is aimed at it then it truly will be a waste of money

I am happy that the link will go through Doncaster to create a superport in South Yorkshire,

Not too sure what you mean by that , under the current plan the lines just go straight through the whole of South Yorkshire without stopping anywhere.

---------- Post added 15-11-2016 at 21:07 ----------

Yes it does , it will be quicker to go from London to Leeds than London to Sheffield , despite Sheffield being closer .

What you're missing is that HS2 is about capacity, not speed. The present capacity will fill up within 10 years so more trains are needed.