Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

If they are say every 45 minutes out of London, half would be quick ones to Leeds, and half would be slow ones to Sheffield (and then on to Leeds).

Would they actually go to Sheffield or would you be more likely expected to change from the HS2 train that is going to Leeds to the slow trains on the dead end spur line to Sheffield?

I've just seen the route. Why am I not surprised.

Sheffield all over - stuck in the 1970's carping about wanting steel and mines whilst the rest of the country ignores it and just gets on with things.

SCC needs to wake up and move their calendars forward fifty years - but there's no way you are getting high speed rail now after whining and carping for so long. Far easier to say "sod you" and make the line easier and cheaper to build.

---------- Post added 15-11-2016 at 13:27 ----------

Bet Leeds Council are loling at the incompetence of Sheffield.

Oh yes just a bit I have no doubt!

I watched something on TV the other night about HS1 there was a woman who used the HS1 line. However she couldn't use it every day because the cost was prohibitive it was a lot more than when she caught an earlier train. All this information saying how the HS2 will make better travel and reduced times increasing business only makes sense if people will be able to afford to use it.

I watched something on TV the other night about HS1 there was a woman who used the HS1 line. However she couldn't use it every day because the cost was prohibitive it was a lot more than when she caught an earlier train. All this information saying how the HS2 will make better travel and reduced times increasing business only makes sense if people will be able to afford to use it.

People will still have the option of the existing line as well as HS2. I suspect that many of the peak time passengers will be business users who will charge their journeys to company accounts.

It seems quite incredible that the City Council have managed to engineer a situation where they could have had the most modern piece of transport infrastructure into Meadowhall , with the excellent links it has to the City centre , to one where Sheffield is effectively removed from high speed travel .

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory springs to mind .

The council wanted the station in the centre of Sheffield because they argued it was better for the city region, with plenty of research showing they were correct.

The latest option is a cost cutting exercise by the govt, under the guise of them saying 'this is what the council wanted' it isn't, the council wanted the full service into Victoria.

Piece in the paper about a new 'train' being built in Dubai (I think) designed and financed by Elon Musk. Pods travel in a vacuum tube with no friction and reach 750 mph, and can glide for 100 miles on just one energy pulse. It would reduce the travel time from London to Manchester to 12 minutes.

What I'm saying is HS2 is going to be well out of date before it's even built. Waste of money.

It would reduce the travel time from London to Manchester to 12 minutes.

What I'm saying is HS2 is going to be well out of date before it's even built. Waste of money.

I don't think people will want to travel on a train that moves that fast. Mind you with the uncritical thinking of the average "journalist" these days they wont have done the numbers...

It's meant for business, not social and pleasure use

So people who claim it through expenses or who choose to commute because the London wage premium makes it worth their while

The council wanted the station in the centre of Sheffield because they argued it was better for the city region, with plenty of research showing they were correct.

The latest option is a cost cutting exercise by the govt, under the guise of them saying 'this is what the council wanted' it isn't, the council wanted the full service into Victoria.

So how "independent" was the research that was paid for by SCC? Victoria or Midland makes no difference, without a massive amount of demolition you are not going to get the car parking and office space they are wanting in a city centre site. The only viable and sensible option would have been an out of centre site that will also have benefited the ENTIRE region not just a few short sighted, selfish southern Sheffield snobs out to line their own pockets

So how "independent" was the research that was paid for by SCC? Victoria or Midland makes no difference, without a massive amount of demolition you are not going to get the car parking and office space they are wanting in a city centre site. The only viable and sensible option would have been an out of centre site that will also have benefited the ENTIRE region not just a few short sighted, selfish southern Sheffield snobs out to line their own pockets

Victoria has the small advantage of not already being a congested mainline station, there is also more scope for regeneration.

The report suggested that location would bring an extra 7k jobs and £5bil to the regional economy when compared with meadowhall, independent or not the other councils arguments seemed to based mainly on the tit for tat, 'if we cant have it, we don't want them to have it'.

Its Sheffield City Region, Sheffield is the major hub and centre for commerce and employment and SCC were only arguing for what Leeds already had so having a moan at them seems a bit harsh.

7000 jobs and £5bn??

Those figures seem somewhat fishy to say the least.

Piece in the paper about a new 'train' being built in Dubai (I think) designed and financed by Elon Musk. Pods travel in a vacuum tube with no friction and reach 750 mph, and can glide for 100 miles on just one energy pulse. It would reduce the travel time from London to Manchester to 12 minutes.

You think the hyper loop is going to cost the same? Not to mention it isn't proven yet.