Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

In the middle of all this discussion about where the station should be placed, can I ask if it's needed at all? In my opinion, the whole idea of HS2 is a massive waste of money. Originally it was to save 30 mins from London to Manchester, before Sheffield and Leeds jumped in for their share. Half an hour at a cost of billions of pounds? That money could upgrade the present network to much greater benefit to lots more people than HS2, with much less upset.

Earlier, on Pages 1+2 of this thread, there was mention of High Speed UK, which I've never heard of before, and the link has now broken, but if there is such a scheme, it sounded a great deal better than the present one.

In the middle of all this discussion about where the station should be placed, can I ask if it's needed at all? In my opinion, the whole idea of HS2 is a massive waste of money. Originally it was to save 30 mins from London to Manchester, before Sheffield and Leeds jumped in for their share. Half an hour at a cost of billions of pounds? That money could upgrade the present network to much greater benefit to lots more people than HS2, with much less upset.

Earlier, on Pages 1+2 of this thread, there was mention of High Speed UK, which I've never heard of before, and the link has now broken, but if there is such a scheme, it sounded a great deal better than the present one.

HSUK is still around

http://www.highspeeduk.co.uk

An interesting article below.

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2987287/hs2_or_hsuk_the_quicker_cheaper_emissionscutting_low_impact_high_speed_rail_network.html

Isn't it down to capacity as much as speed (which still isn't very fast compared with other countries).

Isn't it down to capacity as much as speed (which still isn't very fast compared with other countries).

Did you make a mistake in your post Tinfoilhat? HS2 is about capacity for the future not speed.

Did you make a mistake in your post Tinfoilhat? HS2 is about capacity for the future not speed.

That's what I meant. Been a long morning.

Having spent a considerable amount of time going nowhere on britains roads over the last couple of months, transport infrastructure in this country needs looking at.

Or a lot less people.

By putting the station of middle of nowhere?

Michael O'Leary seemed to make a few bob by flying people from the middle of nowhere to somewhere else in middle of nowhere :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I wish, I wish, I WISH we would stop throwing money at this vanity project. It will never happen, it should never happen and I don't know why it was even mooted as ever being a good idea that it would happen.

I wish, I wish, I WISH we would stop throwing money at this vanity project. It will never happen, it should never happen and I don't know why it was even mooted as ever being a good idea that it would happen.

Any thoughts on how we could improve a transport infrastructure that is need of improvement now let alone in 20 years?

Any thoughts on how we could improve a transport infrastructure that is need of improvement now let alone in 20 years?

A: Rolling stock.

i don't want to get involved in an argument about whether or not hs2 is a good idea, but if you would like to object to the new route, please sign this petition. it was initially set-up for bramley (rotherham) but is now being shared as a more regional petition amongst facebook action groups etc. thanks....

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/159872

My view:

It's not a very good idea, and it's wildly expensive; but Sheffield must have a station if Leeds has one (and if it's ever built at all!)

My view:

It's not a very good idea, and it's wildly expensive; but Sheffield must have a station if Leeds has one (and if it's ever built at all!)

Sheffield has 'messed it up' with the new proposed route. I doubt we will end up with a stop in this region now.

I really feel for the people in Bramley, as I would for anyone losing their home. This new route has only just missed the village we live in.

I can only see HS2 as being used to extend the commuter belt away from here not bring jobs to this region. I would love someone to prove (to me) that I'm wrong.