Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

For HS2 and many more things!!

It may be a perfectly valid excuse, of course. Nobody knows what the finances of the country will look like in a few years.

TBH the crux of all this is that the Meadowhall station was a bad idea and there is no way they are going to put a HS2 station at Midland. A station at Victoria is clearly the best option to help regenerate Sheffield and it wouldn't be very difficult to link that to Midland via tram. However, it will ad between 1 and 5 mins to journeys north of Sheffield (to Leeds) which of course cannot be allowed! Yet the addition of a total of 3 minutes (quite aspirational) to Sheffield Midland via Chesterfield seems perfectly acceptable. Even though this means a journey from Sheffield to London will now take longer than Leeds.

I know this is not yet a final decision and they intend to 'consult' further on it but we all know what that means. Sheffield ends up the poorer cousin yet again. That said, given that it won't happen for the next 20 years anyway it's not something that will really affect me much. So I'll leave the arguments to the young-uns :)

It was never fully, if at all, explained how shoe-horning a station into a virtually non-existant gap with no parking or decent transport links was going to regenerate Sheffield

Guest busdriver1
It was never fully, if at all, explained how shoe-horning a station into a virtually non-existant gap with no parking or decent transport links was going to regenerate Sheffield

Remember this is for the Sheffield REGION. Not just Sheffield.

Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are all set to lose out by this selfish decision, but hey ho Sheffield will be OK so nothing else matters.

Remember this is for the Sheffield REGION. Not just Sheffield.

Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are all set to lose out by this selfish decision, but hey ho Sheffield will be OK so nothing else matters.

Are they? You clearly didnt read the report. It specifically mentions the benefits for Doncaster at the very least.

In any case the number of people using HS2 from Doncaster was always going to be minimal, you can already get to London from Doncaster in about 90 minutes, why on earth would you trek along the M18/M1 to Meadowhall and get on a train that takes 78 minutes, you have spent more than 12 mins on the road getting there :D

I've read the link to the BBC, but not the report. What are the summary of the benefits to Doncaster?

Is it easier to get to Sheffield by car or train from Doncaster? Easier to park when you do get here?

I've read the link to the BBC, but not the report. What are the summary of the benefits to Doncaster?

Is it easier to get to Sheffield by car or train from Doncaster? Easier to park when you do get here?

"Doncaster would continue to gain from the extra capacity that would be freed up on the East Coast Mainline".

And as already said above by me, the market for HS 2 in Doncaster would be very very small anyway given it would only get you to London 12 mins quicker than the current trains from Doncaster and it takes longer than 12 minutes to get from Doncaster to Meadowhall by any route you choose to use.

Although there are cost savings in re-routeing the line, quite a lot of new housing will need to be demolished on the 'Shimmmer' estate in Mexborough. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-36716526

Saw that on Calendar, I was flabbergasted, plus on about it not going through Meadowhall now but Midland station. I think if I'd bought one of the new houses on said estate, I would be up in arms and no mistake.

But the house-owners and developers will be compensated. That's how CPO works.

But the house-owners and developers will be compensated. That's how CPO works.

Assuming they get the full market value plus expenses to relocate, there is no issue, yes. Hardly ideal, mind.

Assuming they get the full market value plus expenses to relocate

Yes; they are also usually entitled to payment of various extras, including:

- legal fees for conveyancing

- disturbance allowance

- removal fees

- other unavoidable costs such as mortgage penalties, postage redirection, etc.

A big issue for householders is the long term blight that will put into question their future.