Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

HS1 and the planned futuristic 2nd one that maybe perhaps be coming are running on same gauge railway and use same voltage supply.

The number is just for show.

In Europe HS lines are identified by naming the cities the line covers, for example the HS leeds London line if there were one going up north. They don't number them.

But that's just a different way of labelling them. Following your argument, calling the motorway between Liverpool and Hull the M62 is trying to imply it's improved/superior compared to the M1. It's not, it's just a way indicating the type of road it is (M) and of differentiating roads of the same type (the number). Motorways on the continent are similarly named.

HS1 and the planned futuristic 2nd one that maybe perhaps be coming are running on same gauge railway and use same voltage supply.

The number is just for show.

In Europe HS lines are identified by naming the cities the line covers, for example the HS leeds London line if there were one going up north. They don't number them.

So what, it's just a label to identify them.

that is fine use it as a numbering system like motorways, but the way it was originally presented made me think they used the number as an ego-trip to make it sound as if this would be the next generation futuristic super train.(I could be wrong it was only my impression)

By the way why don't they number ordinary trainlines, they call them by the cities names.

Edit: I still think calling it the HS north south line much better than giving it a number.

The HS1 line was opened in two sections five years from each other and each section is owned by different investors.

If the numbering system is used you could also say that is HS1 and HS1.1

Then call each section of the HS2 line in a similar way, for example the Sheffield derby section could be HS2.4

HS1 is only 67 miles and had great financial and political difficulties. The cost of construction, £80 million per mile, was much higher than other projects in other countries; the French high speed line from Paris to Strasbourg, completed in 2007, cost £22 million per mile.

Edited by dutch

Really do apologise for this but could you please supersede the incorrect spellings of supersede when you said "HS2 does not supercede HS1 and will not be superceded by HS3".

Totally irrelevant to the accurate points made- but its 4am and the world needs to know how irritable I am and if that bloke on the telly says "drawring conclusions" again I'll... .

Totally uncalled for, whether it's 4am or not. I used a spelling that has appeared in print since the 17th century and still widely appears in print. In fact, my phone didn't say it was wrong.

If you read what I put properly as sentences instead of with anal Grammar Nazi eyes you would see I'm pointing out to Dutch his own error about what HS1, 2 and 3 are! I didn't see you pounce on it immediately and yet you seem such a locomotive person yourself.

I then asked him if he thinks HS2 is outdated before it's even finished. But also how advanced it is compared to what it replaces. Maybe you can answer that yourself Annie, if you can forgive me for starting a sentence with a conjunction of course!

I then said despite Dutch mentioning the Tories in his posts HS2 officially has Labour, Tory and Lib Dem support and was a Labour initiative.

Quite why you had a pop at me over something so trivial is remarkable!

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 12:37 ----------

Hs2 do not want or need it

Ok, will phone engineers and tell them to down tools right now! No-one can argue with that!

Edited by Shef1985

that is fine use it as a numbering system like motorways, but the way it was originally presented made me think they used the number as an ego-trip to make it sound as if this would be the next generation futuristic super train.(I could be wrong it was only my impression)

By the way why don't they number ordinary trainlines, they call them by the cities names.

Edit: I still think calling it the HS north south line much better than giving it a number.

The HS1 line was opened in two sections five years from each other and each section is owned by different investors.

If the numbering system is used you could also say that is HS1 and HS1.1

Then call each section of the HS2 line in a similar way, for example the Sheffield derby section could be HS2.4

HS1 is only 67 miles and had great financial and political difficulties. The cost of construction, £80 million per mile, was much higher than other projects in other countries; the French high speed line from Paris to Strasbourg, completed in 2007, cost £22 million per mile.

You think Midland Mainline and Great North Eastern are the names of cities?

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 12:49 ----------

So?

Does this mean we should never build anymore track? Or that we shouldn't call it high speed, despite it being higher speed than the current generation we have?

Or did you just want to complaint for no point?

You think Midland Mainline and Great North Eastern are the names of cities?

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 12:49 ----------

So?

Does this mean we should never build anymore track? Or that we shouldn't call it high speed, despite it being higher speed than the current generation we have?

Or did you just want to complaint for no point?

We will build it and call it HS. Give it a number, the original name for the first HS was Channel Tunnel Rail Link, not a number. They changed the name later to a number. It doesn't matter as long as the number is used for tagging only and not to fool taxpayers in thinking they are getting something different.

We will build it and call it HS. Give it a number, the original name for the first HS was Channel Tunnel Rail Link, not a number. They changed the name later to a number. It doesn't matter as long as the number is used for tagging only and not to fool taxpayers in thinking they are getting something different.

Would you prefer them to call it Trainy McTrain-Face?

A name will add more character than a number

Just imagine they number all beer and wine with numbers instead of giving them a name

Edited by dutch

A name will add more character than a number

Just imagine they number all beer and wine with numbers instead of giving them a name

I'm rather partial to Pimm's No 1 Cup....and Tanqueray 10.

I think we can all agree the best thing to call it is the High Speed Y Shape London Birmingham Manchester Leeds Labour Inititated Cross Party Supported Definite Improvement Over Existing Network But Maybe Not Ultra Advanced Because Mainland Europe Has Had Them For Years Tax Payer Funded Line.

Nice n snappy :-)

Edited by Shef1985

Some interesting perspectives here, people keep suggesting that we should be investing in our current railways, well HS2 is just that, the current lines are outmoded and are difficult to improve on, other than perhaps electrification and some minor alignment changes. HS2 provides a dedicated new line that primarily shifts lots of long distance passengers to new fast line, there is a huge secondary benefit in that once these long distance trains are gone from our current lines, more services can be provided for local and regional services. The whole idea that HS2 is all about London is missing the point, our current railways are so full, improvements are near on impossible, HS2 allows the local improvements to be done as well.

Some interesting perspectives here, people keep suggesting that we should be investing in our current railways, well HS2 is just that, the current lines are outmoded and are difficult to improve on, other than perhaps electrification and some minor alignment changes. HS2 provides a dedicated new line that primarily shifts lots of long distance passengers to new fast line, there is a huge secondary benefit in that once these long distance trains are gone from our current lines, more services can be provided for local and regional services. The whole idea that HS2 is all about London is missing the point, our current railways are so full, improvements are near on impossible, HS2 allows the local improvements to be done as well.

Well current projected cost of HS2 has now risen to £55.7 billion, or around £2000 for every household in the land. This when the railways turn over around £7.5 billion in total. That's turnover not profit.

When you say the current lines are outmoded and difficult to improve on, have you not taken into account that electrification will increase speeds and capacity.

Just to get these figures into context British manufacturing industries combined turnover last year was just over £200 billion. Turnover not profit. That means they intend to spend 1/4 of the turnover of our entire manufacturing industry on one rail project. The country is massively in debt. We have a massive deficit between what the country earns through taxation and what it spends. We are having to cut spending in order to pay our way. We cannot afford to improve our health service and yet we can chuck away £55.7 billion building a railway that won't be taking passengers for 30 years.