Theft by finding

Keep the £10 putting it in a charity is giving it to the CEO, before anyone starts a number of charity CEOs are on £150k, so it takes 30,000 £5 donations just to pay for one person

Yes it is theft, and finders keepers is a child's rhyme.

If I lost one a couple a years ago and find one tomorrow will I be able to claim it as the one I lost?

Hi.choogling can you describe it to me and i will keep my eyes open for it but finders keepers

If I lost one a couple a years ago and find one tomorrow will I be able to claim it as the one I lost?

If you can prove ownership of it, then probably. Although you might have to take out a small claims action to have it returned... ;)

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 09:11 ----------

Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended. In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding"

If the owner has renounced all property rights in the object, then the property is abandoned. Since theft is the unlawful taking of another person's property, an essential element of the actus reus of theft is absent.

The finder of lost property acquires a possessory right by taking physical control of the property, but does not necessarily have ownership of the property. The finder must take reasonable steps to locate the owner.

If the finder shows that reasonable steps to find the owner have been taken then the finder may establish that the required mens rea for theft, the intention to deprive the owner permanently, is absent.

I've just found a nice new Audi on the street. I had a quick look around, but I couldn't find the owner, so I've had it towed away to a secret location.

:hihi:

I'm pretty sure it was abandoned.

As a dog walker I have found many items , 3 ipods , phone , camera , watch and money , I always ring the police station and report it found , Several items were claimed back and some weren't but the police gave me them back after a short time ( six weeks ) however with the closure of desks they now make a record of what you have found and take your number ( with permission to give it to a claimant ) . I personally think honesty is the best policy

I recall a police officer charged with theft after he found a Rolex and gave it to his wife. She took it in to be repaired some time later and it was logged as missing by the previous owner.

If you can prove ownership of it, then probably. Although you might have to take out a small claims action to have it returned... ;)

No one could prove ownership of it.

I found a 5p on the floor in the gym and I handed it in to the lost property :cool::roll:

No one could prove ownership of it.

Well then you couldn't reclaim it...

Perhaps if you'd recorded the serial number, and had a police report of losing that note, with the serial number recorded... And a witness to verify that you didn't just spend it...

I recall a police officer charged with theft after he found a Rolex and gave it to his wife. She took it in to be repaired some time later and it was logged as missing by the previous owner.

everything is logged in to prevent this

It all seems to depend on 'title' (put on your anorak) - google the 'nemo dat' rule and then look at the Tort(Interference with Goods) Act.

It's not straightforward, particularly in regard to goods 'bought' on Hire Purchase and resold.

Essentially the 'true' owner retains title and most subsequent 'owners' lose out if the person with title turns up.

I've not studied Commercial Law for c25 years so may be a bit out of date !