Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

I'd rather track my own car, but at a location with plenty of grass instead of barriers.

Good luck with that. I've been to most UK circuits and don't know that one. But anyhow the biggest danger is being taken off by the quick boys whilst you are trying to pass the slow ones. So best take a trailer to bring home the big bits.

I had dozens of accidents on karts but never so much as cut a finger. The panels are blown plastic and the dents pop out half an hour after the impact, so it is as good as new for the next race. I think the most fun was a 24 hour race in a twin engined pro kart which cost me about £150 including hiring the kart. 0-60 in 4 seconds.

Bedford Autodrome was nice, that's where I drove the Elise and there was little danger of hitting anything other than a rabbit.

They were pretty strict about overtaking protocol, there were no collisions in the 4hr session I was on the track.

The key is that it's not a race, it's a track session. Racing will get you immediately black flagged.

Bedford Autodrome was nice, that's where I drove the Elise and there was little danger of hitting anything other than a rabbit.

They were pretty strict about overtaking protocol, there were no collisions in the 4hr session I was on the track.

The key is that it's not a race, it's a track session. Racing will get you immediately black flagged.

Ah on of those events.

It does sound rather like driving round the ring road. It sounds nearly as exciting asusing an X-Box.

I said track the car, I didn't say race it.

I can't say that I've ever spun off the ring road, hit 110 legally on a straight on the ring road, missed the breaking point for a corner and gone straight over the s bend, or had a racing instructor coach me for three laps...

I didn't find it boring at all, in case you were missing the point. Absolutely nothing like driving on the road.

Edited by Cyclone

Ah on of those events.

It does sound rather like driving round the ring road. It sounds nearly as exciting asusing an X-Box.

Is that how you drive round the ring road?

I can't say that I've ever spun off the ring road, hit 110 legally on a straight on the ring road, missed the breaking point for a corner and gone straight over the s bend, or had a racing instructor coach me for three laps...

I didn't find it boring at all, in case you were missing the point. Absolutely nothing like driving on the road.

Don't go to Castle Coombe...90 bend after the main straight with the braking point ideally on top of a hill...minimal run off. Pant dirtying stuff. And then another corner later on has no more than 10m between you and a concrete wall.

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/news/wp-content/themes/motorsport-events/images/combe-circuit-map-large.jpg

Quarry Corner and then Tower Corner are the ones I'm referring to.

So the other cars were they faster or slower than an Elise? What will an Elise do flat out?

So the other cars were they faster or slower than an Elise? What will an Elise do flat out?
Redundant question, in the context of a track day. It's what it will still do in the corners :D

But from first hand experience (racing a Dutch-plated one on a Belgian motorway some years back...oooh-aaah Justin :twisted::hihi:), around 130 mph with a small aerodynamics handicap (small trunk on a rear luggage rack). And yes, being a Dutch car, it was metallic orange - I kid you not :D

Bigger lungs, but shorter legs, than the 1.8 MX-5: the guy would drop in 4th at 90 (after the 5 series or E class stuck in the overtaking shoulder would finally shift over; 2-lane motorway), I just didn't dare, so he'd open 200 to 300 yards up...then I'd catch him, and eventually pass him (end of speedo on MX-5 is 140, was touching that, so probably 130-odd real).

Edited by L00b

Redundant question, in the context of a track day. It's what it will still do in the corners :D

But from first hand experience (racing a Dutch-plated one on a Belgian motorway some years back...oooh-aaah Justin :twisted::hihi:), around 130 mph with a small aerodynamics handicap (small trunk on a rear luggage rack). And yes, being a Dutch car, it was metallic orange - I kid you not :D

Bigger lungs, but shorter legs, than the 1.8 MX-5: the guy would drop in 4th at 90 (after the 5 series or E class stuck in the overtaking shoulder would finally shift over; 2-lane motorway), I just didn't dare, so he'd open 200 to 300 yards up...then I'd catch him, and eventually pass him (end of speedo on MX-5 is 140, was touching that, so probably 130-odd real).

Technically my car is faster than an MX5, faster acceleration and faster top speed, but I get owned on most track days by them. A lot might well be down to my lack of skill mind you! :hihi:

So, service and 2 tyres has cost £750, and despite my grand claims about reliability, the rear coil springs need replacing :-( Bad design, they rust at the bottom, they were only replaced 4 years ago which was only 20k miles.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 15:59 ----------

They had a racing exige on the track. It was like a little rocket. Would suddenly appear in the rear view, touch the indicator to acknowledge you'd seen it, and bam, it was gone again.

Some slower ones as well, mx-5's. I even managed to overtake another Elise by the end of the session after the coaching from the race driver.

No idea what the top speed is, there wasn't a long enough straight to top out.

You've got to be careful and choose the right track day though. Avoiding off-peak, cheap deals where no racing and overtaking rules are ignored by the newbies. Most track day organisers make you sign a waiver which state that you are liable for damage to your own car (regardless of fault). Track day insurance is also expensive depending on the value of your car.

Wouldn't want to risk it in mine.

A chauffeur usually drives an expensive car for a living .