Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

I have to say I`m not into cars, or materialism come to that, so, to be frank, I don`t really understand why people buy high priced cars. But I have to say I`m very interested to know what these people do for a living to be able to afford such expensive vehicles. Surely there are only so many solicitors about, and doctors (of which there are quite a few) don`t generally tend to drive ostentatious vehicles in my experience. So what jobs do these people do ?

I`ve discussed this with friends and work colleagues a few times and often you`ll hear the theory they`re company vehicles. But to have a big expensive car as a company vehicle you`ve generally got to be in higher management and how many people are in higher management ? By definition I`d have thought there can`t be that many. Another theory is they`re all "on tick". But buying anything on credit isn`t cheap, you`ve still got to pay the loan back plus the interest.

I suspect part of the answer is some people spend a relatively high percentage of their disposable income on their car, this is the opposite of myself which is why I assume these drivers of expensive cars are all absolutely loaded. But, as an example, to run a Range Rover you`ll still got to be on a bleedin`good whack ! And there are loads of Range Rovers about ! !

Am I the only person who has wondered this ? And what is the answer ?

Added later :

Part of the answer is here, if the figures are accurate / honest it makes very interesting reading.... Also, the age of the car makes a big difference to how much it`s actually worth. So for owners of expensive cars who want to flaunt their wealth, don`t put the private reg plate on till the car is at least 2 years old !

Edited by Justin Smith

What do you describe as an expensive car? That's going to be highly subjective. £20k+, £50k+? Or do you mean a certain type of car, like an Audi no more than 2 years old?

You do realise some of the large luxury cars also experience the greatest depreciation, for a couple of grand you can pick up things like big beemers, Mercs or Audis, because after 10 years they're worth buttons compared to their original purchase price.

The management get them new as company cars, and we buy them 3 years later at a more reasonable price

IT engineers get paid a lot more than most people realise and there are a lot more of them around than solicitors...

lots of people now lease their cars, which makes them more affordable to run (insurance and servicing etc are usually included in the monthly payment). After 3 years they either purchase the car in full or just hand it back and start again.

I work in IT. drive a company Range Rover. Don't have to be a doctor or anything to earn a good wage

As mentioned, a very subjective question. What is an expensive car? For me it would be anything over 100K.

As mentioned, a very subjective question. What is an expensive car? For me it would be anything over 100K.

A £90k car isn't expensive? :o

Apologies for been a little off post, I have the same kind of question about the cost of some houses, how do people afford to buy at say £k200000 plus.

As for the car, I suspect they are all footballers as money appears to be no object to them.

Angel1

Apologies for been a little off post, I have the same kind of question about the cost of some houses, how do people afford to buy at say £k200000 plus.

As for the car, I suspect they are all footballers as money appears to be no object to them.

Angel1

Are you talking about £200K house or £20 million house?

Are you talking about £200K house or £20 million house?

Could be read as £200 million. :)