Vulcan bomber 1950,s

My father took me to an air show in the 1950,s and I saw the Vulcan bomber.Did it ever fly over the Norton airshow in Sheffield or did I see it at a Finningley airshow?

I think you would have seen it at finningley :)

The 'Norton Aerodrome' thread on this Forum (post no. 25) by your goodself dated 10th Sept 2008 might stir your memory ! Welcome to the Club:)

According to some posters on the news and discussions thread, there are regular scheduled exhibition flights of Vulcan bombers each year at Robin Hood's Airport, about four times per year.

According to some posters on the news and discussions thread, there are regular scheduled exhibition flights of Vulcan bombers each year at Robin Hood's Airport, about four times per year.

Just out of interest, what does that area just a bit east of Doncaster-and in South Yorkshire- have to do with the folklore hero? Spare me (anybody) tales of that place near Stannington and Rivelin.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Just out of interest, what does that area just a bit east of Doncaster-and in South Yorkshire- have to do with the folklore hero? Spare me (anybody) tales of that place near Stannington and Rivelin.

Robin robbed the rich in Yorkshire and gave it to the poor in Notts:D

Just out of interest, what does that area just a bit east of Doncaster-and in South Yorkshire- have to do with the folklore hero?...
Sherwood Forest was once much larger, being continuous with Barnsdale Forest to the north. Internal evidence from the earliest (15th century) Robin Hood ballads places the mythical character in the Barnsdale area, north-west of Doncaster - see here for example, and also here (scroll down to section 7.4 "Barnsdale"). Edited by hillsbro

Sherwood Forest was once much larger, being continuous with Barnsdale Forest to the north. Internal evidence from the earliest (15th century) Robin Hood ballads places the mythical character in the Barnsdale area, north-west of Doncaster - see here for example, and also here (scroll down to section 7.4 "Barnsdale").

Thank you Mr.T. and Mr.H. That clears that up !

I used to live in Aston near Swallownest. I remember 6 Vulcans flying over in 1965.What a noise that was. In 1965 we went to the Battle of Britain show at Finningley. I remember that they had a 'Darlik' on the runway which was bombed by a Vulcan using a powder bomb

Great days ! Perhaps that there are still others alive who remember those multi plane flights.

We were a young family then but I'm 79 now.

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 23:29 ----------

Forgot to mention that the English Electric Lightning fighter was also at Finningley in 1965.

I remember it climbing out of site with its afterburners shooting out flames. About 5 minutes later it came back in an unbelievable dive it then flipped over upside down and flew along the runway at a height of 50 feet. A posh RAF voice then announced ... 'That was Group Captain Cox demonstrating the Lightning fighter." I remember the name because that was my best friend's last name.

Forgot to mention that the English Electric Lightning fighter was also at Finningley in 1965.

I remember it climbing out of site with its afterburners shooting out flames. About 5 minutes later it came back in an unbelievable dive it then flipped over upside down and flew along the runway at a height of 50 feet. A posh RAF voice then announced ... 'That was Group Captain Cox demonstrating the Lightning fighter." I remember the name because that was my best friend's last name.

Well this little treat of a film will be of interest to you then.... CLICK TO PLAY

My father took me to an air show in the 1950,s and I saw the Vulcan bomber.Did it ever fly over the Norton airshow in Sheffield or did I see it at a Finningley airshow?

Yes you did see it fly over Norton,the Vulcan didn't land there because of the short runway,but it did fly around the base along with a Valiant, they flew over the Manor where I lived as a boy. A Hawker Hunter was brought by road and put on display at one of the Norton Air Shows plus up to it being closed a Spitfire painted sky blue stood at the entance to the camp.

Edited by lazarus

Yes you did see it fly over Norton,the Vulcan didn't land there because of the short runway,but it did fly around the base along with a Valiant, they flew over the Manor where I lived as a boy. A Hawker Hunter was brought by road and put on display at one of the Norton Air Shows plus up to it being closed a Spitfire painted sky blue stood at the entance to the camp.

Thanks for the info.I didn't think my dad had taken me to Finningley.I took my son there to see the Vulcan.My dad and me walked from the Arbourthorne to Norton through the farm where the tower blocks were later built.I had some milk fresh from a cow there