Workplace chocolate allocation in the Sheffield office environment

I AM SO CROSS!

And let me tell you why. Do you know when it’s a guy’s birthday and he has to bring a box of chocolates or some other snacks to the office where he works? Well that happened to me today (wish me happy birthday if you want to be nice!). So yes, what happened was this: went to LIDL VALUE SHOP other day and got one of them big boxes of CELEBRATIONS you can get dirt cheap in the right place. I did it to take into work for my birthday today (happy birthday 2 me!). Anyway, I said to everyone this morning “I GOT YOU THIS FOR MY BIRTHDAY!” and dumped the box down on the side. Just after 2 o’clock and they’re all gone!!! All the chocolates have been eaten by some fat and greedy urchin! It’s despicable when you think about it!!!

So my questions:

How do I find out who did it? I mean, what shall I say? Something sly like “Oh, I see someone’s had fun at my expense…”. Shall I try other things?

In future, should these situations be avoided by using EXCEL spreadsheet to allocate different chocolates to different men? Then each one would know what they was allowed (good to use technology I suppose)

Should I seek revenge by eating all the chocolates another day?

Just don't have anymore Birthdays! Problem solved...

What's the problem ?

You took the chocolates in for other people to eat...... that's exactly what's happened. :confused:

I AM SO CROSS!

And let me tell you why. Do you know when it’s a guy’s birthday and he has to bring a box of chocolates or some other snacks to the office where he works? Well that happened to me today (wish me happy birthday if you want to be nice!). So yes, what happened was this: went to LIDL VALUE SHOP other day and got one of them big boxes of CELEBRATIONS you can get dirt cheap in the right place. I did it to take into work for my birthday today (happy birthday 2 me!). Anyway, I said to everyone this morning “I GOT YOU THIS FOR MY BIRTHDAY!” and dumped the box down on the side. Just after 2 o’clock and they’re all gone!!! All the chocolates have been eaten by some fat and greedy urchin! It’s despicable when you think about it!!!

So my questions:

How do I find out who did it? I mean, what shall I say? Something sly like “Oh, I see someone’s had fun at my expense…”. Shall I try other things?

In future, should these situations be avoided by using EXCEL spreadsheet to allocate different chocolates to different men? Then each one would know what they was allowed (good to use technology I suppose)

Should I seek revenge by eating all the chocolates another day?

Just would like to say - I'm a big fan. Love your work. You brighten my day. Thanks.

Oh, and Happy Birthday ;)

I had to grin at this thread, every place I've ever worked people have ALWAYS complained about the birthday tradition. Why should the birthday person buy anything for everyone else anyway? - It's not everyone else's birthday, it's mine!

The other noticeable thing is that most of the time the 'lower level' workers bring in a luxury selection of cakes or even bake their own for their colleagues. Yet the more 'management level' workers buy the cheapest, tackiest sweets/cakes they can get.

Currently in my office, if it's your birthday you bring cakes in for others. But traditionally you don't put them out until 10am, and then by 1pm they are packed away again and put in a works fridge - making everyone think they are finished. They are then 'found' 2-3 days later and too old to eat by then and so thrown out... duh! :loopy:

My personal way of dealing with this is not to tell anyone when my birthday is, so I never have to partake in this stupid tradition... I'll help myself to as many as possible if anyone else brings them in though... :P

Give them all to Stephen?

Not heard about Stephen for a while. He's probably the fat greedy urchin.

Happy Birthday. Take some fruit in next year - that will learn them.

Many years ago I worked with Gordon a real nutter,but for some reason he used to bring a large bag of sweets every Friday pop them on a shelf and say take a few.One of the lads always took a handful so this day Gordon said to me don't eat any sweets,he had bought thorntons toffees ,unwrapped them all then coated them thickly with laxative chocolate.The lad never took another sweet off him again,after he got off the bog that is.

If chocolates was all I had to complain about at work :(

Lovely!! Tongue in cheek, I'm sure. Happy Birthday anyway. :):)

Our tradition is to bring cakes if it is your birthday. The vast majority of people follow the tradition, we also sometimes have cakes for engagements, babies and leaving. There are often too many cakes so there are second and third helpings to go around.

There is one person who always eats everyone else's cakes, but never brings in their own for their birthday, it has become a running joke :hihi: