Old House on Crookesmoor Road (repeat of an old post '07(

Back in the 60's when I was a young teenager we used to play in the grounds of what used to be a very large house. This was on the corner of Crookesmoor Road and Conduit Road.

I now notice from Google Streetview that this is now the site of the Sheffield university Management School

In its day the house would have been huge - I can just recall playing in the ruins of one of the fireplaces, and there being stone steps in several places.

Great place to play war games etc as by that time woodland had taken over

Can anyone shed any light on this old building please?

Was it in the woods that also went along the bottom of Redcar Road? I used to remember playing in there as a kid but don't remember a house.

Was it in the woods that also went along the bottom of Redcar Road? I used to remember playing in there as a kid but don't remember a house.

Yep - that was the place - I didn't say that the house was there - just the ruins of one that must have been there at one time - I distinctly remember the old fireplace and evidence of walls etc- but no structure as such

---------- Post added 10-12-2015 at 23:06 ----------

Just found an old map of Sheffield on the pictures Sheffield Site:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/maps.php?file=033

You can move the map around and zoom in etc - the house is on the map -called, appropriately, Crookesmoor House.

...should have rattled the old memory box a bit harder - I did some research on this back in 2007 - sorry to have wasted people's time

this is what turned up back then......

"Crookesmoor House built and occupied by Henry Elliot Hoole of Green Lane Works fame, he was Lord Mayor in 1842 and Master Cutler in 1860 in its' later years it was divided into flats and now the area belongs to the university."