Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

Is it not fair to suggest that annoying another driver in a quest to be noticed is just another ridiculous cycling statement that is not only dangerous but sheer lunacy? It is, of course the typical thought process of an inexperienced road user, but as you keep banging on that most cyclists are drivers too, the standard of driving must be worse than was thought possible.:suspect:

Your confirmation bias is showing.

Yes, and I accept that snailyboy. But those crazy cycle lights are a menace. And to suggest that annoying another road user is acceptable is just beyond belief.

Is it not fair to suggest that annoying another driver in a quest to be noticed is just another ridiculous cycling statement that is not only dangerous but sheer lunacy?

No, it's entirely unfair to suggest that.

It is, of course the typical thought process of an inexperienced road user, but as you keep banging on that most cyclists are drivers too, the standard of driving must be worse than was thought possible.:suspect:

If you watch drivers whilst on a cycle, you'll realise that yes, the standard of driving for some drivers is extremely poor. They have very poor observational skills, little ability to predict the behaviour of other road users, and sometimes an apparent disregard for the safety of other road users.

So if a flashing light attracts their attention, then it's entirely worth it.

As a driver, I don't find that I'm annoyed by cycle lights. I'm more annoyed by SUVs which often seem to have headlights set at such a level that they shine directly into my face and presumably the faces of all oncoming traffic.

The idea that a battery powered cycle light could be seriously distracting, when compared to the far more powerful car lights is frankly ludicrous. It's just you on your anti-cycle bandwagon again.

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 11:09 ----------

Yes, and I accept that snailyboy. But those crazy cycle lights are a menace. And to suggest that annoying another road user is acceptable is just beyond belief.

The fact is that they don't actually annoy anyone, except perhaps you and Peninstone999. There are plenty of other things that are annoying though, and we manage to deal with them.

What's your definition of annoying in this case?

When you get knocked off your bike and the excuse given is - sorry mate I didn't see you, you tend to reach the position that it's better to annoy but be safe.

But those crazy cycle lights are a menace.

Which cycle lights are crazy and in what way?

Why are they a menace?

Lights that are far too bright for purpose. If it were a motorcar heading towards you with full beam on, you would give them a flash to give them a warning about it. Also some idiot named Stephen Young who is MD of a cycle light company said: "You have to offset the vulnerability of the cyclist and if that means causing dazzle to a driver, maybe that's worth it."

What a mentality? It beggars my earplugs that this seems acceptable. Each to their own, however dung brained they are.

As is yours.

Which cycle lights are crazy and in what way?

Why are they a menace?

I take it you've never encountered a vehicle heading towards you with full beam on?

The idea that a battery powered cycle light could be seriously distracting, when compared to the far more powerful car lights is frankly ludicrous.

It's not actually. I know a couple of regular cyclists who pass me on my commute who have lamps that shine ahead and they are as bad as full beam headlamps in terms of obstructing vision.

I'd rather annoy a driver and be noticed, than not annoy them and be ignored and run into.

I'd rather be 'annoyed' by a cyclist and their flashing lights than hitting one of them and causing injury...

Having to stop because you cannot see the road safely ahead?

I've had to do that a couple of times for two of the cyclists on my commute.