"Something for the weekend, sir?"

just been in a pub doing my DJ bit when I overheard a young waitress talking about the condiments on the tables.

I just said they was not needed as I had a couple in my pocket.

That's twice I've made her go red in two weeks.

Made the others laugh but I bet she hates me. :hihi:

LOL, upinwath !

Begs the question - What made her blush the FIRST time?!

In earlier times, barber shops all stank of burning hair. After cutting the hair they used to singe it with a lit wax taper. Never understood why they did that.

6 hours ago, Janner said:

In earlier times, barber shops all stank of burning hair. After cutting the hair they used to singe it with a lit wax taper. Never understood why they did that.

Lol, why resurrect a fourteen year old thread to go off topic? Glad you did because it's been a great read. 👍

On 15/05/2020 at 01:40, Janner said:

And whats the reason?! Anyone?

1 hour ago, Eddie_shef said:

And whats the reason?! Anyone?

The reason i was told is, your hair is hollow and singeing seals the ends up, stops it splitting, and keeps all the natural oils in your hair, thats what i was told buy a feller who allways had his hair singed, lived a couple of doors away from me, and ime not sure whether he said it keeps your head warmer, thats from a man who was a cod in the rolling mill.

On 15/04/2006 at 05:45, RiffRaff said:

Still smile when I come across the expression!

I remember being dragged for a haircut to my dad's barber, and the bloke asking me as we were about to leave....I hadn't the faintest idea what he was on about, being only about 14!

Anyway, my ignorance caused great amusement, so I asked my old man about it when we got outside.....He just coloured up and said it was 'just a phrase' that blokes used at times....

How times change...

Now you walk around your local Sainsbury's and the 'weekend items' are virtually shoved up your nose...(if I may use that expression!)

A similiar thing when I had a suit made...."which side of the road does sir usually live?" was their little comment...

Apparently another version was "Does sir vote Labour or Conservative?"

referring to the left and right of the matter.

Christ knows what fit you'd have got if you'd replied "Liberal".......

In polite company the were called "french letters".  We called them the generic durex.

But getting your first made to measure suit was a rite of passage for a  young working lad.

Got mine at 16  from Maclin's, top of the Wicker. First selecting the material, crumpled it up in your hand to see if it easily creased.  Only ever having one suit, I chose charcoal grey. Took it outside to see how it looked in the sun, looked like medium grey, good enough for a day in Blackpool, then in the dark it looked black, good for the Locarno and City Hall.

Then the measuring, then the 2 or three meticulous fittings, and in 3 or 4 weeks, bingo.

Ordered extra pants, and glad I did, because that suit took me through some great teenage times!

1 hour ago, kidley said:

The reason i was told is, your hair is hollow and singeing seals the ends up, stops it splitting, and keeps all the natural oils in your hair, thats what i was told buy a feller who allways had his hair singed, lived a couple of doors away from me, and ime not sure whether he said it keeps your head warmer, thats from a man who was a cod in the rolling mill.

Whoever told you that was talking piffle. It isn't.

13 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Whoever told you that was talking piffle. It isn't.

why do the barbers do it then, thats all i know about it

43 minutes ago, kidley said:

why do the barbers do it then, thats all i know about it

It's a good way of tidying up those hairs that grow out of your ears.

I remember hearing 'something for the weekend sir?' as a kid, most times when I was in Stans barbers, up the steps at Gleadless townend, 60s/70s.