Used cars over 100, 000 miles, any good?

But, yours is also an anecdote. We can fill this thread with 'em all day....

My OH's three year old Nissan has 100,000 miles on it (hers from new). So does my 2002 Peugeot 307 diesel (bought two years ago with 70,000 on the clock with FSH). And its my car which drives and sounds better (her engine sounds like its on its last legs).

My OH's three year old Nissan has 100,000 miles on it (hers from new). So does my 2002 Peugeot 307 diesel (bought two years ago with 70,000 on the clock with FSH). And its my car which drives and sounds better (her engine sounds like its on its last legs).

Like you said. A car with 100,000 miles that sounds like it is on lits last legs. That's because it probably is.

I'd give up. There's no way you are going to convince her. Until she ends up driving a nice low mileage shopping trolley that spits a rod at 32,000 miles (see it drove it, it was a bag of nails. But hey low mileage. Must be ok)

Like you said. A car with 100,000 miles that sounds like it is on lits last legs. That's because it probably is.

So why is my 13 year old 100,000 mile car immaculate on the inside, sails through every MOT without a single failure in its life and needed nothing other than the occasional spring, brakes and tyres? The engine purrs beautifully.

So why is my 13 year old 100,000 mile car immaculate on the inside, sails through every MOT without a single failure in its life and needed nothing other than the occasional spring, brakes and tyres? The engine purrs beautifully.

That's the thing about mechanical failure. They work until they stop working. That's when you get the huge bill.

It's like owning an old dog. You know that it is going to die on you. You just don't know when.

Probably because it's done less than 10k a year, not 33k a year in three.. which contradicts the other argument in this thread, that cars with low mileages are all rubbish. The average mileage for a UK car is 12k a year, a thousand a month.

One point being missed in this thread is that we aren't comparing like with like when talking about the cars in the examples.

A small car 'shopping trolley', say with a sub 1.3 engine, may well be suffering from a lack of use if it's only done 50k in ten years, but equally it will be on it's last legs doing 100k in three years.

A large diesel car might be fine after doing 100k miles in three years, but could be suffering with all sorts of issues, especially DPF problems, if it's only been pottering around town for ten years covering 50k miles.

A large diesel car might be fine after doing 100k miles in three years, but could be suffering with all sorts of issues, especially DPF problems, if it's only been pottering around town for ten years covering 50k miles.

It all depends if it has a DPF fitted or not. 1.4 diesels and 2L 90bhp models weren't fitted with DPFs.

Which proves the point that you cannot pigeonhole cars, they're all different depending on their use and servicing.

Which proves the point that you cannot pigeonhole cars, they're all different depending on their use and servicing.

I totally agree; it's a point that works both ways, young cars with high miles can be good and bad, older cars with low miles can be good and bad.

Not sure if the OP is none the wiser though..

Some are some aren't as people have said. It depends also how much you are spending. I'd avoid spending any more than what you can afford to lose on a diesel and certainly be prepared to throw it once you get problems with the injectors etc. For about £1000 or so a Focus would be a good bet, cheap on parts, insurance etc, very common so all the garages are used to them. I'd be inclined to avoid Renaults, most Peugeots with the exception of the 406, elderly VWs which are rarely as good as people expect and also id give BMW a miss for much the same reason. At that mileage I'd look at Skoda Octavia, Mondeo, Avensis, Astra, Volvo. Every car I've had has done at least 90-100k on when I've first bought it. Providing its serviced on the dot it should be ok. Ignore these idiots that suggest it will be knackered at 100k, they are living in the 1980s when you could expect to be in for an engine rebuild at this mileage.

I just know though someone will come on and say they once bought a car with 100k on the clock and it wanted £150 spending 3 months down the line. Things will wear out but you stand a good chance of making of last longer if you have the car serviced in accordance to instructions. People can't be arsed to do this hence complain bitterly later down the line when it wants for so little as a tyre.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 19:55 ----------

I hear such anecdotes. There is a very good reason why we get rid of these types of vehicles. It is because we don't know who has been driving them, and no reputable dealer will put his name to selling them with a warranty. We have probably sold 15000 used cars over the years and I hope we know what we are doing.

Not every driver looks after his car. Not all cars are equal. But one thing you can rey on is as the mileage builds up so do the problems. If you buy a used car with 100,000 miles on the clock there is a very big chance that you will end up with a massive bill within 12 months. I have a young daughter and I wouldn't risk transporting her around this winter in an unknown used car that had been bought with that sort of mileage on it. That's not quite the same as running a car from new until it reaches that sort of mileage.

You are talking utter b*****s. Safe to say anything bought from you over 80k is knackered then. You could apply your logic to anything, i might invite the council round to bulldoze my house on the basis its old and thus likely to cost me money from time to time.

Some are some aren't as people have said. It depends also how much you are spending. I'd avoid spending any more than what you can afford to lose on a diesel and certainly be prepared to throw it once you get problems with the injectors etc. For about £1000 or so a Focus would be a good bet, cheap on parts, insurance etc, very common so all the garages are used to them. I'd be inclined to avoid Renaults, most Peugeots with the exception of the 406, elderly VWs which are rarely as good as people expect and also id give BMW a miss for much the same reason. At that mileage I'd look at Skoda Octavia, Mondeo, Avensis, Astra, Volvo. Every car I've had has done at least 90-100k on when I've first bought it. Providing its serviced on the dot it should be ok. Ignore these idiots that suggest it will be knackered at 100k, they are living in the 1980s when you could expect to be in for an engine rebuild at this mileage.

I just know though someone will come on and say they once bought a car with 100k on the clock and it wanted £150 spending 3 months down the line. Things will wear out but you stand a good chance of making of last longer if you have the car serviced in accordance to instructions. People can't be arsed to do this hence complain bitterly later down the line when it wants for so little as a tyre.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 19:55 ----------

You are talking utter b*****s. Safe to say anything bought from you over 80k is knackered then. You could apply your logic to anything, i might invite the council round to bulldoze my house on the basis its old and thus likely to cost me money from time to time.

You seem to contradict yourself with your 2 statements. Perhaps try again when you have thought it through.

We sell cars for a living. I think we have a rough idea of what happens to them.

Are you this condesending with your customers? I'll carry on buying cars at 100k plus and you can carry on flogging people the rubbish you've been banging on about for the last few posts.

Buy a six year old 150k miler, and it'll be simialr priced. The engine will be in much better condition.

That s the difference.

It might have been use as a taxi/mini cab in which case run as fast as possiable