Used cars over 100, 000 miles, any good?

I would be weary of the dpf on a diesel car at this mileage, although bmw supposedly fitted lifetime dpf's from 2008+, I don't know what's considered lifetime

It's all well and good saying about how well a high mileage engine has been serviced, but remember every single moving part on a high mileage car has also done that mileage. There could be untold horrors waiting to surface. Brakes, suspension, electrics, gearbox.......the list is pretty much the whole car. I do agree with the poster who said stay away from the French motors. Awful things when they go wrong. My brother had a 407 diesel, 57 reg and its gearbox blew itself apart, which is a common fault on these cars that he didn't know about. He only paid £1600 for the car, 97,000 miles on clock.

I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule, but just be wary spending too much on a high mileage cash cow.

Just considering but need one soon, probably Peugeot, one is 307, 2006, 82 thousand miles, timing belt done, 1990 pounds, or Peugeot 307, 2006, 100,000 miles, 1300, otherwise Mazda 3, 2005, 1300, but only MOT till March.

What ever you do ... stay away from the French cars ... 3yrs and everything turns to sh*t.

---------- Post added 06-12-2015 at 18:33 ----------

How many elderly French cars do you see on the UK roads, Renault have pulled the Scenic, Laguna, Safrane etc, they can't sell them, they are absolute garbage, thats why. Worst car and dealership service I have ever encountered.

I would be weary of the dpf on a diesel car at this mileage, although bmw supposedly fitted lifetime dpf's from 2008+, I don't know what's considered lifetime

I agree. I bought a 307 last year with 85000 on it. There was an issue with the dpf which I resolved by putting dpf fluid in the tank and going for a run down the bypass.

It is also a little sluggish.

What ever you do ... stay away from the French cars ... 3yrs and everything turns to sh*t.

---------- Post added 06-12-2015 at 18:33 ----------

How many elderly French cars do you see on the UK roads, Renault have pulled the Scenic, Laguna, Safrane etc, they can't sell them, they are absolute garbage, thats why. Worst car and dealership service I have ever encountered.

My Scenic was cheap, but I havnt had any problems, 120,000 miles and still running well.

is it worth buying one which has had a cat c insurance accident?

really need a motoring section on SF.

what about the one above, 307 2006 100,000 miles, 1300 pounds,

is it worth buying one which has had a cat c insurance accident?

really need a motoring section on SF.

what about the one above, 307 2006 100,000 miles, 1300 pounds,

Go for the Mazda, good cars, again Taxi drivers love them, stay away from the Peugeot, it'll be big trouble in the long run.

If you're interested in a particular car, put the reg and make into the MOT history page at https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

It will tell you when it was last tested and more importantly, any advisories which may be lying in wait for the next MOT.

one of the cars i tested using that utility came up with 'rear sub frame corroded, but not seriosly weakened, pretty bad problem, yes?

one of the cars i tested using that utility came up with 'rear sub frame corroded, but not seriosly weakened, pretty bad problem, yes?

If you fancy sticking a subframe on it at some point or chasing your tail having it welded every time the mot comes round.

Why would you want to?

Modern cars don't suffer from the rust problems that they did 20 or 30 years ago. With over 2 million cars sold every year, 2 million end up going to the scrap yard. Many of those without massive mileage. Why buy a worn out motor with worn out suspension, bearings, gearbox and engine, when a lower mileage one can be had for the same price. Just so long as it is lower miles!

Lower miles doesnt equate better condition. A car that has done 150,000 motorway miles will be in far better condition than one that's done 50,000 miles of short runs about town.

Its a 2nd hand car.

There's always a risk.

For everyone with a story of a car bought for £1000 last 5 years with no problems there will be a horror story.

Check the history, has been done on time?, look around it, does it look well looked after? many owners? Cheap tyres? etc..

For that budget I would keep with petrol. Less to go wrong.

Where are you looking?

Private or dealer?