Nostalgia Sheffield Trams

A friend of mine passed away a short time ago and courtesy of his widow I acquired a VHS called Sheffield Trams dated 2nd April 1960, and yesterday I spent one hour forty five minutes watching this.

I recommend this to anyone who loved the old Trams I was transported back to the 30's 40's and 50's and was able to recognised all the old districts.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

Was this a video released in 1990 by ONLINE VIDEO or film that your friend took himself ?

yes the copyright say's 1990 so I guess it will be, do you know if there were many sold, I suppose the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street will have a copy

Gordon England

The Yorkshire film archive site lists Film No. 4331 - 'The Sheffield Tram Story' (c1989) with a running time of 1hr 42mins, presumably the same one you have.

I have a couple of Sheffield tram videos which I haven't viewed for a good while.

A colour video named ''Sheffield Remembered, The last trams'' by ''Nova home video''. The writeup on the sleeve shows C2001 and that it has a run time of 60 mins and narrated by Rony Robinson. I recall it mainly consists of a ride on the last tram from Meadowhead to Sheffield Lane Top in 1960, and the crew then changing to Atlantean buses shortly afterwards.

However, in reality, I remember the new buses in 1960 on the Sheffield Lane Top route were AEC Regents.

Also have a mix of colour and black and white video named ''100 years of Sheffield trams'' released by ''Online Video''. The writeup on the sleeve shows Copyright 2000 and talks of 1901 footage and 20s to 60s plus 1990s.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I lived at Sheffield Lane top in the 60's and well remember the AEC Regent's taking over the route. I was taken by my dad to see the last tram procession through town, a very wet day but full of nostalgia. Fascinating that you now live in Scarborough Gordon as I do.